Chapter 40 - "This won't be a problem, will it?"

When Courtney and Micah stepped into Courtney's sewing room, Micah gravitated towards one of the stools and dropped onto it. Courtney took the second stool and rolled it over to where Lynn's dress hung on the mannequin.

In actuality, Courtney didn't need to complete the dress since it was finished but it was a decent enough excuse to have Micah to herself. Also to get him away from her family that was overwhelming.

And to be honest, she did want to double-check that it was all in order before giving it to Lynn. Her best friend was not having a wardrobe malfunction because of Courtney.

As Courtney surveyed her work, she sent glances at Micah. He stared at the floor and gently swiveled back and forth on the stool.

"Are you thinking of anything?" Courtney asked. "Or are you doing that guy thing where have nothing in your head at all?"

Micah raised his head. Ah, that little brow crinkle makes me believe you do have thoughts in that pretty head of yours.

"Your siblings are really impressive," he said.

"I know. It's disgusting." She grinned at him. "You thought you had a monopoly on younger-sibling-hidden-in-older-siblings'-shadow-itis, didn't you?"

"That's not a thing."

"If it's not a thing then why do both of us, plus millions of other people, have it?"

Micah smiled a little and Courtney went back to her inspection. "Also, if we didn't have this point of bonding, would we even be together?"

"I like to think so."

Courtney tilted her head, looking past the mannequin to Micah. "Me too. We're both adorable."

Beyond the flush in his cheeks, Micah didn't react beyond taking a slow turn on the stool. When he faced her again, he stopped.

"I don't know what I want to do in life," he said.

"Yeah, I got that from the interrogation my father put you through."

"And you're okay with that? Dating someone who doesn't even know what college he wants to go to?" He waved a hand to the doorway. "What about your family? I mean... they don't know we're dating but in comparison to them, even to you, I'm..."

"You're Micah and that's all you need to be for me."

Micah stared at the floor, dragging his foot back and forth along the carpet. Who knew brunch could be so disastrous?

Leaving the dress, Courtney rolled herself over to Micah and bent down to catch his gaze. When their eyes met, she sent him a smile but he didn't react.

"Why isn't that enough?" she asked.

He broke their connection and twisted to the side then back.

"I want... I want your dad to like me, but honestly... I don't see how he could when I'm so unimpressive. Denzel would be a better fit since he'd be as impressive as your siblings. And here I'm..."

Focus on Micah, Courtney and not going to murder your wildlife expert of a father. Sighing heavily, Micah pulled at his curls and this time Courtney did take his hand to stop him.

"I told you, I don't want Denzel, no matter how fancy pancy he would seem to my dad. Don't downplay yourself, my dad does like you."

"Right now, sure because I'm a guinea pig he can use for research purposes but as your boyfriend... I'm not sure that I'm-"

"If you're about to say not good enough I'm going to break up with you because that's about the dumbest thing you could say. Please don't look down on yourself. I don't."