Chapter 6 - "Your Senior Class President is now..."

"I can't decide if you are loyal or stupid for giving up your chance at Senior Class President," Miguel said to Courtney.

They stood in the school's broadcast room that Friday morning. Along with all the student council and those who'd run for office that week. Plus the whole AV team, which actually belonged there.

"Only because the thought of relinquishing power to anyone gives you anxiety," Courtney said. "Also you're loyal to no one but yourself."

"That is slander. I'm loyal to people."

"Oh really? Who?"

"Mi Madre and Jace."

"Only because our mutual cousin is willing to get you into baseball games for free, so I'm not sure that counts."

"You never said my loyalty was not bought."

A man of self-serving ties, and good looks. He would make a great politician one day. One day? He made a great one now. Despite being detached from almost everyone, people still liked him. It was impressive.

"So what was it?" Miguel asked. "Stupidity or loyalty that made you drop out of the race?"

Courtney glanced at Lynn across the way, laughing and smiling with other council members. She looked flawless. Okay, more than usual which somehow seemed impossible since she always looked perfect. It was like her superpower. Honestly, she could make wearing a garbage bag look fashionable and not trashy.

"I believe it's called friendship," Courtney said. "Since you know nothing about it, let me explain. It's where you and someone else connect, form a bond and are better for it because it makes your life happier."

Miguel narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms. "Connecting. Bonding. Happiness. Sounds disgusting to me."

Courtney laughed and Miguel winked at her. Ah, Miguel, I am your only friend and that's sad. Though he didn't seem to mind, since his mind was always focused on what came next. For him, it was Harvard. Anything that didn't play into that goal was dropped. Courtney might be the one exception.

"Still," he said. "Giving it up for her. I have to say I..."

Courtney tilted her head and tapped her ear. "What is it you were going to say? You admire me for it? You are floored by my selflessness? You wish you understood that type of friendship?"

"I still think you're an idiot."

Well, what did she expect, after all? But he didn't say idiota so she decided this was the most positive he could get.

They fell silent, observing the manic energy of the room. The AV team was trying to get set up while having to zigzag their way through council members who were oblivious to being in the way.

Courtney had opted to remain near an unused wall because she was nice like that. And mainly because she figured some of those wires had vengeful thoughts and would easily take her down.

Courtney saw Micah working on the camera setup. The past week he'd looked better for wearing shirts that fit him. His pants needed work. Not the right style. And his hair could still use a cut but he was improving. No declaration of love from Max, but Courtney figured it was only a matter of time. He was too great not to snap up.

"Five minutes to air time!" Shelby, the head of the Broadcast team, shouted. "Five minutes to air."

The council members talked louder at the announcement. Lynn held out her hands to her fellow members as if asking how she looked. She would be on the broadcast after all.

"Miguel," Courtney asked, deciding that she was a glutton for punishment. As well as one for ice cream. "How long did you know she wanted to run for president?"