Chapter 12 - "Couldn't miss out on the fun."

"Sunday brunch, Sunshine!"

Courtney twisted around in her bed and bit back a cry of pain. Son of a Seabiscuit I have to stop doing that! She closed her eyes as her ankle set off fireworks of pain.

"You hear me?" Heather asked, her head poked into Courtney's room.

Courtney lifted her arm and waved it. It was as much as she could do right then besides try not to succumb to the fiery pain of her ankle. Okay, maybe that was a slight exaggeration but butternuts it hurt! She took in another slow breath, willing the pain to ease. Go away pain.

Eventually, it subsided, but what she was left with was a body too tired to move. Her arms felt like lead bars, her legs were like sandbags, and her heart...Bleh, she did not want to think about that confusing organ at this moment. It was meant to pump blood, not bleed out a tangle of baffling emotions.

Tossing aside her blankets, Courtney gently lifted her right leg and draped it over the edge of the mattress. Her crutches lay on the floor and Courtney stared at them. Come on Force, give me your power of levitation.

When her Jedi mind trick didn't kick in, she resorted to bending over and fumbling for them. By the time she got them pinned over her arms, she wanted to fall back on her bed and never move.

Miles stuck his head into her room. Oh a witness to her feebleness, excellent.

"Brunch," Miles announced.

Oh, was that why I was getting up? It was taking me so long I forgot my reason to live.

"Coming," she said.

He slipped out and Courtney made herself decent enough to be seen at a Sunday brunch. Well, a Sunday brunch with her family, not one with normal people. That was a completely different standard. This standard was hair in a messy bun and a bra.

"Golden Girl," her father said pointing his spatula at her as she walked into the kitchen. "Life quote, go!"

"You dictate how the world perceives you," she said.

"Not very original but it's a classic and so I shall let it pass."

Good, because my brain still hasn't started working this morning.

"What did Miles say?"

Miles shouted from the dining room where Courtney heard the clinking of plates.

"Once you stop letting others dictate your worth you can begin to discover it for yourself."

Yup, that sounded like a Miles' quote, simple yet impactful.

"That's a good one."

Courtney's mother walked through the archway to the dining room.

"Sweetie, do you know why Miguel's car is still parked in our driveway?" she asked.

"I don't know, the last time I saw him he planned to barricade himself in the library."

"Do you mind going and telling him that the revolution is over?"

"And invite him to brunch," her father said.

Courtney saluted, collected the master key from the keyring, and headed to the library. When she opened the door, she found Miguel passed out on the couch. As she approached, he stirred. Laying on his chest was Proust's Swan's Way. He'd fallen asleep reading it. Ironic, at least one of them fell asleep.

"Miguel," Courtney said, nudging his shoulder.

"¿Qué pasa?" he muttered.

"Sunday brunch."