Chapter 18 - "It's not the same without you."

"I think Mr. Woodson hates me."

"You fail the test?"

"Yes, and my mom is going to kill me."

"You can retake it. I'll help you."

"Dude, what's been up with you lately? You've been slacking at practice."

"It's...I..."

"Come on, let's talk."

"Did you seriously say that to her?"

"What was I supposed to say?"

"Literally, anything else. Bex back me up on this."

"She's right, Jake that was about the dumbest thing you could have said."

"I'm thinking of cutting my hair."

"Why? Your hair is glorious."

"I know, but I feel over it today."

"Then wait until tomorrow to see."

Courtney always felt like sitting at a crowded lunch table was like being in a snow globe, but instead of snowflakes words swirled around her.

She let the snow drift as she observed Micah and his friend group sitting at a table across the quad. At least among them, Max seemed to smile more though she didn't show any particular favoritism towards Micah. In fact, she kept sneaking glances at Blake. That was discouraging but not unsurprising. Bad boy Blake has struck again!

"Have you found your dress for homecoming yet?"

"No. My dad says I can only buy one new dress this year."

"Really?"

"Yes, so it means I have to rewear a dress which will make my pictures from the previous time of wearing the dress look the same."

"Cory made some adjustments to one of my dresses for me last year. You could ask her to do the same for you."

Courtney felt a nudge on her elbow and tore her eyes away from Micah's table. Jeez, how long had she been staring? Hopefully, it was taken as her gazing thoughtfully into the distance, pondering deep, intense thoughts instead of eye stalking Micah and his group. Though she had resting dumb-face so it wasn't likely.

"Who were you looking at?" Rosa asked.

Okay, so the deep ponderous theory wasn't flying. Pity.

"See that girl in all black," Courtney asked.

Everyone closest to Courtney who heard the question all spun around or rose half out of their seats to spot Max.

Don't look over, Max, don't look over. It would only reaffirm in Max's mind that Courtney was evil and was probably saying something mean about Max.

Luckily, Max didn't look over, though Micah did seem to notice the dozen or so gazes pinned on his table. He met Courtney's eyes and raised his eyebrows. She made an apologetic face and he smiled in acceptance of her apology.

"I think I have math with her," Kimber said, as everyone focused on Courtney.

"Who is the guy in the purple shirt?" Rosa said, eyeing Micah appreciatively. "I do love a man who can wear purple."

He wore the outfit. And Courtney had to agree with Rosa, he looked good in it.

"I'm pretty sure she's in my PE class, though I've never talked to her," Lynn said.

"She has history with us," Aubrey said.

Good, data collection time. Max do you hate cheerleaders or purely me?