Chapter 13 - "You are more than a pretty face."

Today was the day. Today was communication day with Lynn. She would communicate. Together there would be communication. It would all be solved because Courtney communicated. She was great at communication. She could do this...

She would communicate right now...

"Hi, Darrell this is Courtney Hart at Oceanside High, I wanted to book you for DJ-ing the Homecoming dance on October sixth...Yup, five hour dance starting at seven. Two hours for setup and breakdown...Great, you know the email to send the invoice to? Fantastic. I'll see you then."

Okay, so she wasn't communicating with Lynn right then but this was all prep work to that step of communication.

"Hi, Linda this is Courtney Hart at Oceanside High. I need to know how much fifty yards of your cheapest fabric would be?...Is that the best offer you can give me?... Yes, I'd be happy to talk to your manager."

She scribbled a note in her notebook, one that joined a column of others.

"Hi, Roger this is Courtney Hart at Oceanside High. Can you tell me if your store rents out camouflage nets?...You do? Great. What's the biggest size you have?...Uh huh. How much does that weigh?...Do you have anything lighter?...Okay. How much would it cost to rent that for five days?...Is that the best you can offer me?...Good to know. I'll be in touch."

Another note was added to the page.

"Hi, Joanna this is Courtney Hart at Oceanside High. How much is it to rent two spotlights for a forty-eight hour period?...Is that the best offer you can give me?...Great. I'll be in touch."

Miguel strode into the Council room right as Courtney hung up. She leaned back in her chair, arms smugly crossed in front of her chest. Yes, it was possible for arms to be smugly crossed because that's how hers were at that moment.

"Did you oversleep?" Courtney asked. "Because it's not yet eight-thirty and I've already booked the Dj and started calculating the cost of Homecoming and working within our budget to make my idea come to life."

Whose the slacker now, dear cousin! Ha!

Miguel sank into a seat adjacent to her and clapped quietly.

"Well, done. You are more than a pretty face."

Courtney threw a crushed-up piece of paper at him. That was uncalled for.

"I'm glad you slept well," Courtney said.

"Oh, you think I overslept. That's cute. No, I was having breakfast with principal Rice and we were discussing how to approach my sports buddy sponsorship program. She thinks we could get businesses involved. It could be a tax write-off and they would be giving back to the community."

Nutter butter! What was that thing about pride followed by a fall? She shouldn't have stood so close to the cliff edge. Her fault. But still, she got work done and so had he.

"Do you think it will be able to happen this year?"

"No telling. If I had to guess I would say we could get it going by the spring season. And that's thinking positively."

"If you need my help, let me know."

It was the least she could do for trying to outshine him when he was the freaking sun in terms of overachieving.

"I might take you up on that offer. Since you do have a pretty face and a cheery smile you might be able to help convince parents and businesses to get involved."

"Can't let these looks go to waste."

"No we can not."

The school bell rang and the door to the Council room opened, bringing in a flood of students, all chattering. When they saw Miguel and Courtney they greeted them. Courtney offered back hellos and smiles as she searched for Lynn. She entered towards the back with Aubrey. The two of them took their seats. Aubrey smiled at Courtney and Lynn sent her a shy wave.