Chapter III

Author's Daily Announcement

Just in case 'new' readers stumble upon some confusion. Volume 1 is currently undergoing a Remake, since I took the liberty of viewing it and cringing back at it. So! Though, there is a Volume 2 - It will, unfortunately, be not updated, therefore not released. 

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

In their slow dreadful march to the snowy mountains' top, a light within the midst of a small blizzard night had caught the attention of the Watchmaster – as the figure appeared to be the shape of a lit shelter – a bright beacon in their predicament.

Upon judgment, the injured Watchmaster that leaned heavily against the Grenadier, with an arm wrapped and swung around the back of the Grenadier's neck, she made her decision known by a mere nod. Knowingly enough, the Grenadier followed the direction of the emitting blurry light as he kept an arm around the Watchmaster's waist, hoisting the sergeant throughout their trek should she slip and lose her strength and grip and footing.

Thrust into an unknown place, and armed only with a shovel, the Grenadier had been tasked such a heavy burden so early since his promotion. However, such a struggling and the harsh situation did not make the Grenadier flinch, rather he faced it head-on without hesitance – with a shovel in hand, and the other supporting the Watchmaster – he will pull through whatever obstacles that may be, until death claims him in doing so. While the korpsmen limp in their march, as they did support the other, an excruciating grunt escaped in a form of a muffle through the skull-face gas mask, who belonged to the Watchmaster who was kneeling down onto one knee, whose body was spent and downright exhausted. Yet, the Watchmaster's will remained unbreakable, as in a poor attempt to push onward and stand, she nearly fell forward and collapse to the ground – that was until the Grenadier swooped in and held the Watchmaster in place, preventing it so.

The act and gesture displayed by the Grenadier had piqued the Watchmaster's interest since their transmigration to another place, or world. Comradery had never been a 'thing' in the Death Korps, only ever just another 'pair of hands' to fight alongside with. It was easier that way, she spared a thought. The Death Korps of Krieg, was no place for such bonds, only ever the objective, the completion of the mission, and the Emperor's Will and his forgiveness. Therefore, with only those fixed and wired in every korpsman's mind – the Grenadier had incited something rare.

Over the course of several campaigns, the Watchmaster who has risen in ranks, from regular infantry, to Grenadier and to at the current rank – Masha has never witnessed such extent of 'attention' and 'care' among guardsmen, just as herself, she would not wait and tend to the wounded nor offer a glance until only ever the battle has ended. Everyone had duties to perform, and everyone had the responsibility to carry it – concluding the Death Korps function with every guardsman taking on their role, and that their health comes second or to none at all.

As such, while the heavily injured Korpsmen set out once more through the breeze and cold-turned night, they are unaware of the search parties gaining in on them.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"It may just be the cold, but the place is starting to give me the creeps." A young junior officer; a recruit, stuttered as the dropping temperature settles in. "Never been the type to appreciate and embrace Nature, and all its wilderness, huh Rookie?" The recruit's veteran partner amusingly asked, as he and his partner, and a few others with leashed dogs spread out into the massive woods. "No, that's not it. I mean you saw the ginormous church that's sink into the woods! Heck, I can safely assume that it's bigger than St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City – the largest cathedral on Earth. Now, I may not be religious, but if it's a place of worship and it's in that scale, ain't going to lie something is definitely off." Their youngest officer's speculation made those that heard took a moment to reflect their situation – what were they searching, and if they do stumble upon someone or something, what would it do?