Chapter XVI

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Hidden within the trenches, Imperial Guardsmen waited and rested, yet cautious and wary – as the strategic meeting continues still. In their wait, a group of Steel Legion Guardsmen took comfort from the warmth heat the campfire produced.

"Scoot over, I'm freezing over here." A man in a pale caramel coat ushered the poor comrade as he replaced him, and took a seat by the fire. Their gas mask varied in decoration – others having painted skulls and the rest being similar or absolutely different to none.

"Gah! It's not often we get to breathe in the cold, but refreshing air."

The man that has invited himself in spoke up as his companions gave a knowing smile. "You got that right!" and the group of guardsmen lets out a hearty laugh. "But I must say, it is a bit unusual to be assigned too far from home."

Being a part of the mechanized infantry, the said man rested his back against the trusted chimera – the well-known and renowned armored transport. As he lay, he took in yet another breath of air.

"I couldn't agree more, Don. Though I suppose our chimera are the reasons we're here. The unfortunate guardsmen on other regiments probably don't have such luxury to have these."

The rather old yet capable man explained.

It was an undoubted fact that mechanized infantry was few and rare, even among the Astra Militarum. But the hive world of Armageddon, homeworld of the Steel Legion – they were excepted – as Armageddon proves highly industrialized. Making it the foremost manufacturing planet for chimeras, so much so, a high portion of regiments raised from Armageddon are mechanized infantry.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

The conversation has died, and the others have opted to simply enjoy the warmth that is emitted. Until they heard the sounds of footsteps. Cautious of an enemy raid, the group took arms within seconds before the small fire revealed the stranger.

"Korpsman?"

The old man identified as he inspected the uniform, till he deemed it was the case, he and the others lowered their weapons. "Oh, wait for a second! You must be the one I spoke to!" Don nearly yells before he was scolded and shushed by the old man. "Keep your voice down, fool!"

Turning from his foolish subordinate, the old man introduced himself as he turned to the korpsman. "Captain Miril of the 209th mechanized infantry"

"Trooper designation 057299-3287, 107th Death Korps Siege Regiment, line infantry"

"Well then trooper, what brings you here?" Captain Miril questioned, although Don have already made it obvious, that he was the case. "Guardsman Don has something – required."

Whistles blew and a few teased their blushed subordinate. "Stop it! I simply just wished to return the favor, you imbeciles! Otherwise, without her, I would have been toasted when those Necrons had me pinned."

Looking up to meet the female korpsman, he concluded that was what she came for – a favor.

"So, what can I do to return the favor?" He directed, ignoring his companion's teasing gaze and smirking grins.

In reply to the Steel Legion Guardsman, she spoke tonelessly;

"Spare parts for repairs"

Vague at the specification, Don blindly assumed "Weapon parts?" which were correct as he received a mere nod. "Alright then, give me a few moments as I gather them for you."

As the Steel Legion Guardsman retreated within the chimera, the others took the opportunity to strike a conversation with the female korpsman. "How many campaigns have you been in?" a younger man asked, curious almost that it could be visibly seen through the gas mask. "4 campaigns" The Trooper replied, which opened the course to more dialogue.

"Then, is it true that the guardsmen of the Death Korps of Krieg – atone for their sin by death in battle?"

In their coalition between two regiments, tied by the Astra Militarum – their presence on the battlefield and odd combination and partnership have raised both curiosity and interest.

After a long pause, and no response, the younger man began to feel unease and guilty at being so crude at the question he voiced. But the old veteran man saved the trooper from having to explain.

"I may not be that old, but I am knowledgeable at least."

Before the captain could even start, every Steel Legion Guardsmen have already taken to the gathering, as all remained quiet in their place; as if a tale of legends is being preached.

"The former hive world, the homeworld of Krieg – have suffered the same fate as Armageddon – under the arrogance and foolish leaders who rebelled against the Imperium. However, unlike ours. Krieg endured a hellish 500 years of continuous civil war, the grueling cost being too high and turned their hive world – into a Death World.

In the end, the Loyalist won and the Death World of Krieg returned to the Imperial fold.

But in the return to the Imperium, Krieg entered a massive transformation and the creation of – The Death Korps of Krieg."

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Consecutive whistles blew and up the trenches; hundreds of Death Korps Guardsmen sprinted in a mad dash to enemy fires. In orderly waves, the assault took place as hundreds were pulverized, and mowed in their advance.

There was only the howling blizzard and the broken destructive city. In the ruins, in the city, erupted awakened Necrons that have hibernated for over 60 million standard years – deep beneath its surface in their specially prepared catacombs and tombs.

But unaware of the dangers beneath, many such Tomb Worlds became settled planets of the Imperium. Only until those beneath begin to surface, and bring forth detriment of all life in the world.

As such to the response, the Imperium makes its move...

"Damn..."

Captain Miril whispered as he witnessed the massive casualties on the 104th Death Korps infantry regiment, but continued along as the 205th Steel Legion mechanized infantry regiment have received orders to follow in the 4th wave of assault with the 104th to secure the area that have been penetrated and is currently holding by the 104th.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

As the urban warfare continued, the situation was becoming tense as the necrons appeared apparent to retaking their position.

"If this goes on the whole platoon will be wiped out!"

"Get the chimera behind covers and continue shooting! That's the only way we got a chance!" Captain Miril ordered at once, keeping the crew in check. "And Don! Request backup! State that we won't be able to hold this!"

It was a moment, and it took a minute – until the ground shattered to smithereens.

As the dust calms, and upon its reveal. A whole necron assault unit was smattered to pieces by the bombardment of the 107th Death Korps siege regiment.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸