Chapter II

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Aware of the silence that assumed their location, it produced an uncomfortable state of mind that perhaps an ambush lies in wait.

In order to avoid revealing their position, Sandra opted to gesture to Nick to proceed with caution to the next closest cover when she gave the signal.

Peeking through the corner, she looked at the surroundings and the upper level that has caved into their current level. 'What a rather perfect spot to lay an ambush – to be able to hit us at the front and the top of our heads – the situation is too skeptical'

However, before Sandra could revaluate their approach, Nick had other plans as he shows what he had in mind on his hands. 'Smoke grenades, that could work'

With the plan approved as Sandra gave an affirmative nod, Nick tossed it through the conspicuous spot – until it smoked and triggered a hail of bullets at its whereabouts. 'Oh fuck that; that was a lot of firepowers!'

"Well it seems like they know we're here..."

Nick commented before he caught Sandra planning once again. 'Always the thinker' he sighs as he kept a watch for their hidden enemies, while Sandra plans away.

"Hey Nick, you got grenades on you-"

But before Sandra could relay her plans, the androids have set out from their position and began to fire at their cover, forcing Nick and Sandra to slightly pull away from the edge of the corner.

"Can you time it so it explodes on impact against the ceiling?" She shouts loud and hard for her voice to be heard by Nick, who nodded back in return – understanding to bury the androids in their approach.

"Suppressive fire!"

At Nick's signal when he had timed the grenade right, he moved out from his cover and angled his throw – "Eat this!" – and so it flew as it reached the ceiling exploding just on time, forcing the structure to break and crumbled down to the unfortunate droids below.

"That seems like it got all of them..."

"Yeah, and more dust and smoke. Just great." Nick complained before the two continued on.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"We are inside, Director. Got into some trouble exactly as we got in, and had to handle the situation. Affirmative, understood, over and out."

It was minutes into their adventure into the old decrypted factory, before they apparently stumbled upon the manufacturing production. But by the terrible and run-down state, Sandra deemed it too far from use to be able to get it functioning.

"These are what we're looking for, but the junks here are already out of commission – meaning other manufacturing productions are being made in other sectors instead" Sandra assumed as she inspected the rusted machinery.

"Well I can say, whoever had this place built must have been filthy rich. Because damn he could compare this complex place, to the largest mall in the world!" Her partner responded in undoubted amazement at the speculation. "Agreed, but let's get a move on. Alex just reported they are waiting for us – seems like they're near the objective location."

In a split momentary second, Nick was grazed by a bullet that went just by his shoulder before more came their way. "Ah fuck! That scared the heck out of me!" Nick exclaimed as he held a hand to the injury and looked to see if blood dampened his gloves. "What is your status?!"

"Just a flesh wound! I'm fine!-" bullets and pulverizing weapons struck their cover.

'It seems like we'll be here for a while...'

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Meanwhile, the same experience was being suffered by Alex's team as yet once more an ambush took place. 'We must be getting near to the machinery – based on their defenses seem to have increased!'

A bullet ricochets just by her, instinctively forcing her to further hid behind her cover; patiently waiting for an opening to return fire.

Until the strong firepower that was being sent all over their position was reduced, when the Watchmaster and Grenadier proceeded to demolish the androids without a hitch as the troopers flanked the enemy on both ends.

The gunfight that ensues to struggle receded in time as the korpsmen made quick work of the stragglers that continued to fight on. Until penetration rounded made a hole through their thick armor and through its programming system.

"Nice work..."

Alex began but was unsure how to proceed as she still wondered whether the korpsmen still had a grudge against her; where their relationship stands in the current situation. But seeing as how she has started, she wanted to address the terrible sensation of having lied to them and hid the truth.

"Wait!" screamed her voice, when she suddenly felt like an idiot that could have attracted more enemies to their location.

"Look I am sorry that I hid the intel from you about the artifact, but I hope it does not affect our duty and possibly hinder our focus on the fight."

However, despite the sentimental act and speech – the korpsmen were unmoved – and only responded in a cold and monotone voice that was muffled due to the gas mask; "Understood"

But between Alex and the Korpsmen, both knew it wasn't as simple as an apology to fix the tie that have been severely cut. That Alex, despite having soldiers that could be deemed as 'perfect' examples; they were still humans that could remember the things done to offend them.

Just as she was left to her own thoughts, she had failed to notice the damaged android laid on the ground busted and broken – to still continue functioning; with a target sighted it shot a single burst before it was decommissioned due to its heavily sustained damage.

As the large caliber bullet pierced through her flesh and its force; too strong and fast, it pushed her backward as she fell to the wet and dirtied floors – wounded.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸