Chapter III

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

With a loud thud as she crashed to the ground, in immediate reaction the korpsmen tracked the shooter – only to find it immobilized and out of commission from the obvious damage it has withstood.

It was then in the briefest moment, the Watchmaster stood idle and simply looked at the body that was unconscious on the wet dirtied floor; contemplating numerous scenarios that ran in a quick flash.

'Nothing – that is what should be regarded to each korpsmen!'

A past fragment replayed in a split second, yet detailed enough to witness the foggy memories.

'Nothing – except to dedicate your existence, your loyalty, and duty to the; God Emperor of Mankind!'

The surrounding was a wasteland, with no sign of hopes of life; just like a life without the Emperor would be when compared. The terrain bore no soil, the atmosphere clouded with unbreathable air, and water in ponds or lake that remained were contaminated with toxic chemical;

The condition of the Death World of Krieg

Standing before the sad and tragic scene of their homeworld, the fresh recruits were armed and their equipment strapped. On the other end were those the same, but with poor weapons and equipment, as obvious as their physical conditions – defects – those unfortunates born with missing limbs and other disabilities.

The defects only ever hope to be of use; to serve as 'living exercise targets' for the recruits to use live ammunition.

Then a whistle blew and the training commenced, only ever ending until all the defects have all been terminated, and fulfilled their purpose to train humanity's defenders.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

'It burns! Argh! It hurts!' Alex's mind screams in agony as she slowly comes awake from her unconscious state. 'Urgh... I feel drowsy...' her mind proved uncooperative as her coordination in her balance was nowhere close to being stable just yet, as she soon stumbled back to the ground where she rests.

'W-where am I?' she wanted to know and see, but the difficulty in keeping her eyes open from shutting proved a tremendous task. 'Damn... I must be too weak from the loss of blood-" until suddenly a pair of gloved hands tended to her wounds – instinctively making Alex flinched at the touch and pain that cursed through her body.

Not long later, the caring and delicate hands retreated and the person pulled away. 'That was Masha?' Alex debated until she settled that it could be as she remembered the time Alex had assisted in the surgery on Kara.

"Judging from the patch on her wound and her state – she'll be alright"

Nick commented as he inspected the great work in addressing the injury. "Well that is good news-" Sandra began before she was interrupted at the sight of the korpsmen leaving.

"Hey! Where are you both going?!" The former marine called out, but despite her stern voice, it had no effect on the troopers.

"Probably to finish the mission – the Watchmaster informed me – so I'll be going with them to keep an eye. Meanwhile, keep the Director safe marine."

Unable to refute, even if she could – their mission was a priority.

"Roger that, asshole."

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

As the soldiers further ventured in without the Director and Sandra; Nick silently followed the Watchmaster's lead as dark smoke began to pollute the hallways and considerably the whole area.