Chapter XVII

Author's Announcement

Legion of Rome In Middle Earth,

Is now the story I am focusing on! I have already published 2 chapters, and there will be more to come. I think I just need a new story to get motivated again, but of course, this story will get an update from time to time.

P.S - If you enjoy the chapter, the story, and its interaction. Please, don't forget to leave a vote!

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"Guardsmen."

Batman - a player that plays chess and is three steps ahead in every move - said without context. It is possible he merely wanted to probe the guardsmen in question; whether if they knew something that he don't. But the silence was their response and as Batman grew impatient, he turned and executed a swift sweep under the Watchmaster's feet.

Only to be easily evaded by the Watchmaster as she merely lifted her leg and moved a step back. "Who else is here with you?!" Batman jumped back and was followed by Nightwing as both sides created the distance between themselves, as Batman yelled the question.

Silence yet again.

With both sides on a standoff, and Batman rather intrigue to get information out of them - even if he had to turn to violence rather than intimidation - it would appear that both guardsmen were rather so obvious on their intention to finally get into a fight with Batman. Since the very start, it has been no secret; that they held a grudge against him.

While both were soldiers that excel in wars and murders, it would be difficult even for them to be able, and defeat both him and Nightwing. The only way they'd be defeated was by letting arrogance and pride get to them. Like Damian Wayne - his son - and current Robin. But he was with Dick, a better Batman; a better hero than he'd ever be.

Martial arts and skills, against brutality and efficiency in killing.

It would be difficult to assess who'd win the outcome, but that was for the battle to decide which have just started when Hylric made the first move as the guardsman sprinted to close the distance. With as much 'live' training on the battlefield - running through open fields to enemy trenches - it was never a problem to do 'short' sprints.

With an armed shovel, he swung it towards Batman, who leaped from the heavy attack, before Dick was; made his opponent. As the two fought, while Dick dodged rusty steel and sneaked in blows and kicks. Hylric made no gesture or noise to assume he even felt the blows as he barely made attempts to dodge them, and only attacked.

Meanwhile, it was Batman against the Watchmaster who both had yet to begin trading blows.

"Just what are your plans?"

Bruce was determined to get an answer out of them - out of her - as he eyed Masha intensely.

"Restore the world to Imperial rule."

It was a fantasy, Masha knew that - a futile attempt - but it would not deter what she have been born, and trained to do. As a guardsman, war to restore worlds to the Imperial fold and defend them was the life she has been destined to.

Yes, that was her goal now. A goal she had failed to notice, but subconsciously thought about - contact the Imperium for example - she remembered that being her initial goal.

Yes, contact the Imperium and the world coordinates.

The Imperium, here, to purge the heretics and xenos. To connect the lost world - Earth - to Imperium control. To cleanse the scourge and the mindset of these corrupted mer. To erase their support for the 'heroes' of Earth - the Justice League - that have even controlled and infiltrated the local PDF and government in this world.

A world that was hostage to these mutants and xenos.

The Emperor forbids it!

With Masha the first to make a move, she pulled out her bayonet and charged at the man that was in league with 'them' - Justice League - as she made use with the bayonet's sharp point, she thrust the weapon instead of opting for a slash as would if it were a shovel.

Regardless of Masha's aggressive approach, Batman still had to make an effort to jump and evade the ruthless attacks. However, Bruce had no intention of being on the defense for so long. He merely has to wait until he figured she had at least exhausted a portion of her energies.

Though that was a small mistake on his part - as these were soldiers and have experience and intense training - as she was able to graze and tore through his costume with her bayonet. But with mistakes, comes an opportunity to make retribution as he slipped the bayonet in between the razors in his gauntlet and snapped the bayonet in half.

Then, with a solid kick to the gut, he forced her to fly a good distance before her back hit the wall.

Following a few seconds later, another body hit the floor as Dick carried him to the air and slams Hylric to the ground - a suplex - which he executed perfectly and knocked the Grenadier unconscious.

However, before Batman and Nightwing could even think about subduing the guardsmen, a pin clicks to the ground several times before it registered in both Batman and Nightwing. "Grenade!" Which was correct, but wasn't - as smoke began to fill the room - and a familiar voice spoke amidst the smoke.

"You haven't lost your touch, Bruce!"

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸