Chapter VII

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Trapped within the warp – inside the realm that would push any man into the clutches of the evil Gods and twisted to be demented pawns – the 107th Siege Regiment, at least what remnants of the Death Korps were left;

Simply floated in the endless space.

But something that was opposed at the aspect of eternal damnation towards these men, a strange force has broken open the warp and seemingly began to pull the unconscious regiment to it with its gravity.

Like a black hole, it dragged just about anything into it until the last guardsman was taken into its dark comforting embrace in its own dimension – an entirely separate space from the home space of the Chaos Gods.

Without a clear indication of how time has gone, with no hints of sound, nor light – it was just an endless void. Yet, unlike the warp. Here, it was just dark without the tormented shrieking screams of the damned and heretics that were tricked by the promises of power and wealth in the service to those false Gods.

At least, here. It was a soothing place for the dead to rest.

Except, they weren't dead. For that exact reason alone, the guardsmen were beginning to stir awake from their long slumber. Unconsciously the men began to stand up, not taking notice that they were on solid ground once more as others pulled themselves up despite being injured.

Including the ones who were in the worst shape, especially those that have been on the front line that was barely holding the gate – Kommisar Kaiser – stood up with an excruciating effort. Besides the wounds that he was inflicted on the shoulder and leg, and the tarnished and dirtied uniform with its infamous coat;

The Kommisar looked just as capable and combat-ready as if he was prepared to take on four-to-five heretics at once with the famously known chainsword and bolt-pistol.

Gathering the remnant of the 107th Death Korps Siege Regiment, the only alive Kommisar – Kaiser – took charge and command over the decently sized Death Korps unit. At once, remaining true to a Krieg's discipline and obedience, the soldiers moved immediately at the Kommisar's orders.

Tasked with scouting the area and ensuring the perimeter is secured, a routine was swiftly made between groups to patrol the area. As others went on to make camp from the things the others were tasked to salvage and loot. Simultaneously, other guardsmen have even gone on to discover scattered armored chimera in the further outer distance, retrieving the armored vehicle that still functioned. In an impressive display, some guardsmen were even able to repair and operate the ones that could look like it was beyond fixing.

Gradually, as the cold night went on, the makeshift camp could be considered an outpost due to its heavily guarded and defensive structures that were constructed all around. The Kommisar had no doubt ordered the guardsmen that were left with no assignment other than to dig trenches with their shovels and make decent barricades from the trees around them.

Under the mercy of the growing cold and snowing night, the guardsmen have made campfires all over the outpost as the men sought out to feel comforted by the heat. Essentially, it was mostly the wounded that were put near the fire to stay warm. Those that were in top condition, however, were content and unbothered enough due to their coat and uniform.

As the patrols secured the perimeters, and guards on watch scanned the poorly lit forest and its surroundings, the Kommisar was in his tent as he speculates and evaluates their situation. But as he continued to think and get lost in the thoughts in his mind, he failed to notice that the wounds that have been tended to have begun to rip open.

With noticeable footsteps approaching, Kaiser had pulled himself from his thoughts as he permitted whoever it was to enter. It was lax on his part to not wait and allow the visitor to introduce and present themselves before being permitted to enter, but in his case or as a personal trait;

The Kommisar just found it unnecessary.

Following as told and being allowed to enter, the unknown visitor went in as the soldier presented an introduction regardless of whether it was to be done outside or upon entering.

"Quartermaster 0114294-2218, reporting."

A Quartermaster, the Kommisar had a surprised reaction as he pulled back a little to get a proper look as well as present himself in a proper stance. Although he holds a higher rank than the guardsman that stood in utmost discipline and decorated pose. As the only non-Krieg in the regiment, he had come to respect their uncanny and fearless diligence, as well as admire their unrenounced unwavering faith in the Emperor.

Having embraced the Krieg's culture and their war-torn identities, he has slowly adapted to it as he no longer faced the urge or even desire to strip the mask and the helmet to feel the rich air. Instead, he felt much more comfortable, much more secure with a gas mask on and its filtered air.

Therefore, without another moment to waste and as the only Kommisar;

He intertwined both hands together on the desk as he leaned forward. "Proceed, Quartermaster." 

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸