Chapter IV

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

The whole battle that had transpired under the gloomy weather that hovered Gotham, and the occasional lightning that flashes in a blink to which the thunderous sound soon followed, in truth Dick was surprised that these 'soldiers' were the very guest he was suspected to host. Especially when their aggressive style in combat – obviously performed in the act to kill than subdue – was contradicts characteristics not a vigilante nor a superhero would be displaying or putting into action. But by the prowess the 'soldiers' put in the fight; Dick was under the illusion he was fighting 'super soldiers', but despite the hard fight that was rare on the streets, he knew he'd still somehow make it on top.

"Are you Batman's subordinate?" Her voice asked, and somehow, she didn't realize she's become more talkative in a sense since their arrival. Yet that wasn't the point for such bold question, instead it was the subconscious feeling about being cautious around Batman's associates, and subordinates – all potentially acting spies – as she attempts to get a sizing on Batman and his allies.

"Used to. Then I chose my own path, but you can say we're associates, friends even."

Dick nonchalantly said with a smile as he stated his relationship with Batman, only to fail the subtle gesture of a clenched fist of the female soldier that walked behind him. The conversation soon died with that, and the rest of the walk to the nearby building where the mission was supposedly located became closer.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Settled in position at a vantage point, the rooftop offered little protection to the harsh stormy weather, but between Nightwing and the Death Korps Guardsmen – it seemed it hardly bothered them. "Movements!" Dick spotted as he pulled his binocular and traced the suspect. At the mention, the Watchmaster followed the example as she reached from her satchel to retrieve a binocular she had taken from at the D.E.O armory. But when she felt the absence of it, she could only assume she may had forgotten or lost it somewhere.

"Here. Look over there." Then just like that, a binocular was presented for her to take and Dick's finger pointing at the direction he had been looking over.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"Alright. Our objectives are very clear, but I must remind one that takes priority over all. Don't get yourself in danger, and second to that – no killing. Especially with those strengths and durability.

Okay, move in and subdue every threat encountered. Then find any information that could be connected to 'that' group that's been doing arms dealing with this group of thugs."

At the commencement, Nightwing was the first to make a move and shot a grappling hook to a building's ledge as he launched himself as he swung. The stunt would had left the guardsmen at awe if it wasn't for their objectives to be fulfilled, and of course if the tool has been sanctioned by a tech-priest and sooth the Machine God that resonated within it – proving it non-heretical to be yielded.

But despite the amazement of various tools and militaristic armored vehicles that the Masha and Hylric had the luxury to experience, at the end of the day, the guardsmen prefer 'sanctioned' tools and machines than to use foreign weapons and gadgets and vehicles. It wouldn't be wise to anger the Machine God, after all.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

When the guardsmen did set foot into the compound, their skills in infiltrating made the decision into making conscripting the former line infantry to a grenadier, and the other formerly grenadier into a watchmaster a truly wise choice. Especially when the hardcore veterans of the 107th Death Korps Siege Regiment took on an exceptional number of enemies without being discovered – all with their melee combat skills and experience, and of course with the rusty trusty shovel.

However, when all was going well and smoothly, the stealth infiltration was discovered when a stray dog barked and alerted the remaining sentries. At once, the compound ran amok as the enemies took arms and went on the chase to sniffing the guardsmen out. But that didn't matter, instead it only made just a margin bit more difficult.

While the enemies checked every crook and corners, one by one, when they did – they were pulled and beaten senseless to a pulp or choked to a state of being unconscious until the place gradually fell into silence.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"Well, aren't you both terrifying." When Dick went to meet up with the Guardsmen, he had to say he was surprised and amused. "When I heard the alarm went off, I thought gunshot would ring out any seconds now. But erringly enough, not even a scream was heard. I'm scared." He laughed as he said so, but by being supposedly overly friendly it instead garnered more suspicion towards him than it lessens so.

"Just doing as ordered." Masha replied with the infamous short answer and void tone that could lead to any trace of feeling. "Then that'll do just fine." Dick positively responded, clearly content to the very least as he conversed with the Watchmaster. In the back of the grenadier's mind however, he felt strangely discontent at how they've operated. Certainly, it was no difference than night raids conducted during trench warfare without the use of lasguns. But the whole context of 'non-lethal or harmful action' towards an enemy seems bizarre, almost heretical.

Yet again, as the days passed by and they partake in more battles. It's become more foreign and stranger. He could almost snap if he didn't have the discipline to maintain the sign of obedience as expected of an honorable dutiful guardsman. But tolerance could only be limited to an extent. Hylric was simply itching to reattach back to an Imperial World, and assigned back to the warring lines. But for now, he had to endure. For now.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸