Chapter XVII

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

As the Imperials secured and settled in their newly gained positions – others ventured as reconnaissance – and patrol the urban ruins.

Meanwhile, returned to the Imperial's nest, the exhausted regiments replenished and organized their troops, and count their dead. "That is a lot of dead korpsmen" Don lamentably spoke, as he and the others looked onto the mass grave.

It wasn't the number of dead that made the Steel Legions gloomy, but rather a whole regiment being wiped out. It is not uncommon, but an official declaration that a regiment has diminished – is a saddening fact.

The 104th Krieg siege regiment, of the 87th Line Korps regiment; has fallen.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

With the 104th absent, the lack of trench defenses is vulnerable. In short-notice replacement, parts of the 107th Siege Artillery Regiment have been tasked to be on the frontal lines.

Including Guardsman designation 057299-3287

Ever since their earlier victories and the further the Imperials ventured closer to the Necron Catacombs – the more resilient and hostilities were returned. Even to such an extent that the Imperials are just about to be overrun.

"Hold! Hold! Aim!-"

The Death Korps Kommisar screams as he stood on top of the trench, and on cue, he unsheathes a saw-blade and aimed it at their adversaries – "Fire!"

Hundreds struck their marks, but the necron armor remained firm as some deflected and others unaffected by the Imperium's Astra Militarum standard-issued lasgun. However, the Imperial Guardsmen would not falter and would refuse to retreat. Even if it meant their death.

But just as the Kommisar was just about to relay further orders, he was struck – turning the parts that hit into dust – and soon he was nothing but ashes. In a brief moment, the korpsmen spared a glance at where the Kommisar fell, and in an ultimate instinctive reaction; they all thought the same thing.

"For the Emperor!"

In immediate instance, their discipline was gone, and their restraint unleashed – turning them into bloodthirsty hellhounds – as the mass dashes into the enemy forces without complaint nor hesitance.

Yet in their reckless and unorganized charge, many fell, but in their mad pursuit of death – the Death Korps took the fight to the necrons.

The battle became close quarters as the korpsmen fought alone, and without the Steel Legion's armored mechanized tanks and chimeras. It has not been sooner when their numbers became to dwindle as the fight continued. But still, the zealous fanatics remained brutal amidst the losing fight.

Shovels were used, as their bayonets were replaced – making it a more effective weapon than the piercing blade. In their struggles, the korpsmen fought until their last breath, as others succumbed to their injuries on the ground and then lay dead.

Meanwhile, a female korpsmen shoved a shovel down the necron she has pinned. Successful in eliminating the enemy, she pulled at the stuck shovel but failed in her firm stance as she fell against the ground – too exhausted and spent to even bet to continue much longer.

But against the exhaustion, despite the horrible ache and injuries; the female korpsmen stood. Until-

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"Clear for airdrop!" the pilot announced as he levels the airship just meters from the ground, and at the back of it jumped and exited its passengers;

The Inquisitor and his acolytes

At their entrance, presence and the reinforcement that was brought – the tide began to turn as they push the necrons back.

While the female korpsmen remained disoriented and hurt, she made her wishes known as she began to rush back to the fight. It wasn't until later when the battle has all been done and won – did she realize being in the presence of an Inquisitor.

"You, what is your designation korpsman?" the Lord Inquisitor asked, making the female korpsman produce a salute and a disciplined stance before she gave a reply.

"057299-3287, Lord Inquisitor!"

He gave an observation as he performed an inspection on the korpsman. "You are brave, and courageous – korpsman – that you could make Inquisitors I know look pathetic."

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"There seems to be something odd with that korpsman, and I tend to figure it out."

The acolyte raises his suspicion before it was taken to debate by the Lord Inquisitor. "Then you must have sensed it too then – a void – but unpredictably not. However, aside from that. I am actually interested in temporarily attaching the korpsman to my command. Perhaps you may learn something of use from the guardsman, Kerl."

"As you wish, Lord Inquisitor – if it means for me to become a suitable and capable Inquisitor one day."

Acolyte Kerl bowed in respect towards his mentor, to which then he was dismissed.

However, despite being left alone to do as the Inquisitor pleases during his free time, his mind has been plagued by distractions, especially what his acolyte has raised in terms of the korpsman.

While both being sanctioned Psykers by the Imperium – their connections still remain especially strong to the Warp, and their soul thus become a blazing beacon to those foul entities within the Immaterium; where the Chaos Gods dwell.

But aside it all, when in the presence of 'that' korpsman, the Lord Inquisitor and his acolyte felt a disconnection with the Warp.

'Could it be?'

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸