Chapter XX

Author's Announcement

The previous chapter and this chapter, as well as possibly the next chapter will not be fully checked for any grammar mistakes, etc.

Anyway, still enjoy! You don't have to vote, but the story will appreciate the 'star' like it's a medal.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

After being told that someone wanted to meet with them, Masha wondered for a moment and Hylric looked to his superior for her choices, before her silence was broken as she replied.

"Does the man - the Director - wield any sway with the people?"

Although she was uncertain about the government of Earth being split into many factions, and each government to a nation entirely differently composed, if the Director Benjamin Lockwood - Agent Liberty - could be assumed to be an ally and able to contact the Imperium: It would be something too great to pass on.

This was possibly her only and best chance at getting a shot at it, but she needs to know if the Director would be reliable and dependable.

"The man is quite a charmer with words and the people, let him do a public speech and watch the crowd jump and cheer almost immediately after. It is almost worrying that some don't even understand what truly is at stake or is being said, but what the heck. Politics and politicians are not my thing."

Jason shrugs barely giving it anymore thoughts, before he focuses back again on the main subject. "Well, what do you say?"

Upon careful thinking, and though there weren't many choices to choose from anyways it did not hurt Masha to give herself several moments before finally concluding that it was the only path that would see them through, either that or mindlessly search other ways before being caught and imprisoned by Batman.

"Take us to him."

"Alright, now let's get a move on - this place stinks - but we will continue to navigate through these large sewers. I can't have you walking around out on the streets with your outgoing setup." Jason explains, before pointing at the gas mask that they wore and his as he started to lead them through the dark wet tunnels of Gotham.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

As they continued to traverse the awful stenching sewers that were plagued with rats, trash and human waste, they seemed to be unbothered and unaffected by the strong smell - possibly thanks to their gas mask - as their boots were wet and submerged but then something got their attention.

There was someone following them, and each to their own wondered if it was Batman or someone else entirely, but the question was who, before they finally reached a part of the sewer that had a faculty room that was empty. Aside from the lockers and several terminals that controlled the gates and stream, it was large enough that it should be perfect to hold out against whatever that is tracking them.

Although Masha and Hylric would prefer to keep on the move, both understood that it would be unwise to fight in the narrow tunnels, then again if only it became close-quartered combat which otherwise meant that whatever it is would have to evade the live-rounds of bullets before it got any closer. Then again, they were following the Red Hood.

They were prone to the old habits of following orders, and second to that to face battle with courage and valor, but with Masha proving so far in their journey here was more flexible and to a degree began to display more unorthodox things - things that Hylric have very much taken notice - as they settled in.

"I don't have to babysit you both, do I?"

With a snort he averted his eyes on the entry, snickering at the deadpanned face that the mask had to offer from Masha and Hylric that stared at him unbelieving at the comment. "Because I don't think we would be having it easy."