Chapter XII

Author's Announcement

Do consider making the 'vote' star twinkle, as it will remind me that there are readers that are still waiting and reading the story :)

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Through miraculous means, the watchmaster and her grenadiers have successfully passed through the security, and without arousing suspicion throughout the beginning of their infiltration until they made it into the main command building.

With a few subtle patrols tackled and eliminated by either a sharp knife or a shovel, the guardsmen did fine work in deliberately keeping which patrol to subdue or just leave be to minimize the small disappearance of a few soldiers and lower the risk of the others becoming suspicious and alert the institute of being possibly infiltrated.

But after a few more muffled screams and eyes wide from realization – as a knife sank into their heart – and stabbed multiple times for good measure. Or perhaps the small disturbance of a cracking skull along the quiet hallways until it sounded like pumpkins being bashed by a shovel. With their little deed done, the team prepared to take a sharp turn around the corner as the watchmaster peeked around the edges and;

Spotted what seemed to be an old man wearing a white coat and his hair in matching color – the man looked to be highly important – and in an instance, the watchmaster figured they'd found the ideal target to capture and extract valuable information out of. Most preferably the priority was to locate where the comms was located in the maze-like building.

At once, the guardsmen pursued after him as the man entered the room.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

With the sounds of a few clicks on the terminal's keyboard, as the doctor typed away in a hurry, he seemed to have sent it with that last smash on the keyboard before he gave a relieved smile. Which was soon wiped as the metal sliding door opened and burst in soldiers that wore alarming uniforms and conspicuous gas masks. Moreover, their guns were beyond anything he's seen among 'human' military inventions.

'Were we found out?!'

Doctor Orloff questioned as he was caught by surprise by the unknown soldier's intrusion, except for the Kid Flash who was the wrong hero to try to take on by an ambush – or any other speedster that could manipulate time. Although these soldiers appeared to be professional, their gear aside from the rifles was very much outdated as he inspected them as he ran by. Several shots were fired and Wally stared at the laser that went by in his distortion of speed.

One by one he knocked them unconscious. However, a rifle has already shot fired, and whether this was intentional or not to eliminate Doctor Orloff, or to simply get him to move in and save the doctor, Wally halt on his subjugation and sped toward the doctor who wouldn't be able to dodge it.

Although it was a smart move by the soldier that took the shot, it was a futile attempt to give them the time and space to rethink and regroup. Especially when they were up against a Speedster that could travel back in time and to alternate realities.

With so much as a tiny push or a flick of a finger, he disarmed and knocked who remained standing – unconscious. Save for the soldier that took the shot, since it seemed that soldier appeared to be the leader and he has questions.

Questions that poked at the back of his head – screaming at him at how he could be so oblivious – but he had other priorities at the moment. Such as checking on Doctor Orloff and his condition to see if it's possible to take him to the States with his current condition.

Returning back by Doctor Orloff's side as he fazed back to 'normalcy' to let time naturally flow, the soldiers that were once standing with their weapons raised and aimed, were now on the floor incapacitated and hurt. It was then when Doctor Orloff took a closer look that he mentioned something that made Wally finally snap surprised and understood the odd feeling.

"Do they not look like the 'guardsmen' that were found with that huge cathedral in National City?"

How ironic it was when a man that controlled the flow of speed and therefore time, unconsciously felt as if time went by slowly without him willing it. Wally had to take a moment before he recalled the situation that was shared on national news, and additional information from his uncle – Barry Allen – the Flash.

Then what was more when looking at the only soldier standing, was the shoulder plates that were embossed with an insignia – that matched the 'guardsman' that is currently under Batman's supervision – a Watchmaster.

By being thrown such a case that held much gravity, Wally was mind boggled by the situation and how he should approach it, certainly when the clock was ticking and a friend's life is on the line.

But restricted by the sense of duty to be unable to simply leave these 'visitors', it would seem he would have to accommodate them in his tight schedule. However, the question was how?

'I can't just carry all of them. It's just simply impossible! Over the continent and across the sea?! Furthermore, I don't think they'd like the idea of being apprehended by me. Especially the Watchmaster.'

The phrase 'starring daggers' was no doubt undermining whatever the guardsman was trying to convey with those expressionless gas masks. Then again, Wally was very certain the Watchmaster wanted him dead, one way or another. All the while the soldier stood there menacingly, and if Wally had the guess, plans were being formed inside that helmet – obviously regarding ways to take him down.

"Abnormal..."

There was a small voice, almost weak, and it sounded what seemed to belong to a woman. Moreover, what did she mean by that, Wally wondered. Then by surprise, before Wally could ask a question and seek common ground and understanding, a knockout was delivered behind the watchmaster's neck and she fell unconscious.

Alarmed and cautious, Wally steeled up when he felt the familiar breeze go by and it brought him to think – only Speedsters could project such a breeze when moving – and he was right.

"Ah! My Children!"

Doctor Orloff sounded so proud and very much excited as he raced to embrace a woman who mimicked the old man's gesture. Meanwhile, two other men walked beside her with small smiles on their faces before they looked at the soldiers on the ground, and then at Wally.

"Doctor! I have missed you!" The woman declared as both shared a hug before the other guys went on and interrupted. "Doctor, it is so nice to see you doing well." the medium-sized cocky young man happily hugs the doctor who was followed by a much larger man.

"Yes, yes! It is also good to see you, Anatole! Cassiopeia!"

Before anything else, the doctor turned to the woman who feint a pout. "Of course, I am also happy to see you too, Bebeck." Doctor Orloff humored the woman.

With a reunion concluded, Wally could only hope now that the doctor would be more compliant to accept to migrate to the U.S to save Jerry. Then again, as duty would have it, the soldiers on the floor were crucial to be interviewed as Flash would have him – or any other Justice League member – due to Batman's well-known paranoia to prepare for everything and anything.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸