Chapter IX

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

With the reconstruction of command chain, the remnants of the 107th Death Korps Regiment has still suffered to an amount. Furthermore, resources were limited and scarce to obtain. Especially so when there was no established communication to contact Imperial Worlds or Imperial Navy in the vicinity.

However, it is to the Kommisar's confidence that the planet that they were thrown to had the comms and technology to transmit a long range signal to catch the attention of any Imperials that should so receive it. But first, they had to find an Imperial stronghold or settlement within this planet. Or at the very least an outpost in this eerily peaceful and considerable atmosphere condition.

With the absence of the infamous gas mask from his face, he stood just beyond the perimeter of the base that was continuously being reinforced under his order. As he took a brief glimpse at the hard-working guardsmen, he continued his patrol as he relieved the guardsman before his shift. He was unique in a sense - more involved with the guardsmen he commanded - compared to the others in his rank. Although 'unique' it was only a margin of difference, perhaps he was only preferred to be on the field just like any other Kommisars but more involved to the matters with the soldiers he had under him.

Admiration.

That was what he had for these guardsmen, although it was natural to respect any soldier willing to fight the terrors of the galaxies while the Emperor of Mankind sit wounded on his golden throne in Terra.

But unlike the common reason as simply being that. Kaiser was seduced by the rumors he has hear from his fellow during his training days. "These fanatics would routinely request to be put among the most deadliest warzones! You'd think after suffering such immense casualties they'd request to take a period of time to muster their strength and numbers. But not these fools. Not them."

Maybe it was the pride he has that made him feel attached to the Death Korps, a place where he could say he belonged - judging that both he and the guardsmen of the Death Korps have a high sense of absolute patriotism and loyalty to the Imperium and the Emperor.

He smiles as he walked underneath the full moon above as the snowing weather picked up.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

"Watchmaster 011285-9778, the mission is reconnaissance. Proceed with caution and discern any encounter and avoid. Mission objective is to locate long range comms, however, restricted being anonymous and undetected."

Kommisar Kaiser made it abundantly clear that being spotted and revealed could undoubtedly spell the end of the 107th and certainly displayed displeasure in wanting the 107th to be ended in such a despicable fashion with its poor condition and force.

To be beaten when the 107th is at its lowest, the Kommisar would not have it. Rather than fearing death, he feared these guardsmen of Krieg would not be awarded the honorable death deserved to them at least. Although fearless, courageous, unwaveringly loyal, and inhumane in some moments;

As Kommisar, he would lead these guardsmen to a battle worthy of their death and make it not in vain. But instead worth enough to something that it could be said that their death contributed to the war against the heretics and foul xenos.

Without any other words, the Watchmaster only produced a salute as opposed to words before she took off. With a sigh, Kaiser retreated back to his tent as he placed a hand over the wound that has been tended to with bandages. Frustrated with the situation, and his injuries, he slammed his fist to the table before the tainted bandages further bled red.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

Tasked with reconnaissance, the squad of Grenadiers led by the Watchmaster 011285-9778 moved with caution through the dense winter woods. With the ground blanketed by a serious pile of growing snow it was proving hard to move quickly enough should it be necessary to duck for cover or to avoid being spotted. Furthermore, the majority of the grenadiers were wounded and weren't in the best shape.

However, it seemed their condition would only worsen when the weather began to pick up and the snow began to howl; and the temperature increased. Despite being heavily protected due to their heavy trenchcoat and jackboots - being injured in their current situation was becoming a nuisance and further delaying their progress.

Regardless, the squadron persisted albeit slowly, on their march as they literally dragged their feet along the cold snow that threatened to swallow their boots with each and every step. Until the leading woman relented to the building reasons to call it quits for the time being. Although she did it in the consideration of the grenadiers under her command - it also threatened the success of the mission and their already dire situation of manpower.

To decrease the chances of both percentages would be a defeat and shameful.

Therefore, having weight the choices, she gathered the grenadiers and began searching for a shelter to lay low until the raging weather has calmed. Yet that didn't meant that the weather would go and be soft on them all of the sudden since the decision to take shelter from its blizzard rain. Instead, it seemed to torment them even further and the icy cold began to pierce through their clothing along with the moan of its freezing wind against them.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸

The march was intense and their endurance was tested as it threatened to engulf them - the winter cold it seemed wanting to bury its victim with its cold deadly embrace. Until in the nick of time, a shelter in the sorts was spotted and the others were informed. Having approached it - it was a small cabin in the middle of the wood.

At once, with great coordination, the squad quickly encircled the cabin while remaining out of sight as the grenadiers closed in the circle with their weapons drawn - aimed at whoever and whatever was in their line of sight.

With their approach muffled by the deep snow and the loud blizzard, it was also in their favor when it reduced the chances of being spotted although vice versa. But regardless, they had the upper hand when they have been the first to move to intercept any potential 'enemies' within the vicinity. Yet it was still wise to be cautious as they still suspected to be caught in a laid-out trap.

Slow and steady in their steps, their grip on their gun was firm and unwavering despite the biting cold. Fairly enough, the guardsmen were undoubtedly prepared to even fight a chaos space marine should it be the enemy that was behind the door. Whatever was behind there they were resolved to eliminate it. Whether it would be a won battle or defeat.

When the Watchmaster eventually reached the door, accompanied by a grenadier behind and on the other side of the door. The three guardsmen took a moment to listen in to any signs of movements inside. It was silent. Either the cabin was void of any occupants, or the occupants inside have already discovered them approaching and had moved to wait for them to enter with a surprise.

The Watchmaster had no choice now. Not that the Watchmaster would withdraw from a battle that could give them intel while still maintaining the lives of her grenadiers. But this could be a chance to capture an enemy and extract information from them. Save them the trip on going any further to just get the same info. Furthermore, if there was an enemy, they might have already been alerted of their presence and are about to alarm the other outpost.

She had to bust in and take them out before the whole planet came bearing down on them.

With ease, the hinges on the door nearly gave as she gave it a tough kick. Immediately, she moved in with the two grenadiers on her tail. Well-versed in urban warfare, a nonchalant skill, as demanded by any regiments that are a part of the Astra Militarum.

Muscle memories did the handy work as she moved through the corners and door entry like it was a place she knew as she maneuvered through. It brought some memories where they were once in a hive city controlled by heretics. In one case when the war on that planet became guaranteed, it was the cleaning phase that she took 'joy' in. Playing hide-and-seek as she flush out the heretics that were hiding. It allowed her to develop an understanding of urban warfare and how maneuvering in these tight places would answer whether who'd win in the situation.

It was a valuable lesson that explained why the Watchmaster has survived for so long.

◹][◸ ~ Astra Militarum ~◹][◸