The Long Run

P.O.V: Change: Yaz

"Ryan? Ryan! Come on, wake up!" I cry out as his eyes close. I see Kenji lean down, press his ear to Ryans chest before placing two fingers under his neck. "He's alive, help him get him up." Kenji says as we lift Ryan by his arms. We carry him underneath the treehouse and rest him against one of the foundations. I hold his hand, praying to whatever God that can hear me, to help him.......bring him back to me. "We have to clean his wounds before they get infected." Ben says as he takes out some disinfectant from one of the supply bags. "It's a spray, it should help. Get his shirt up." Ben says which I do. The wound on Ryans back is horrifying. Three large claw marks from the small of his back to up and around his left shoulder. Its deep enough to be dangerous but not enough to be life threatening. I cry as I see the wound, he saved us from that thing even after the cost of his own health. We........I don't deserve him......at all.

Ben sprays the wound for which Ryan screams in pain before tighten his hand around my own. "Let's patch him up." Ben says as Brooklynn walks over and unravels some compression bandages. We wrap Ryans entire torso with the bandage, sealing the wound. I see Ben carefully cleaning some of the blood off the scratch on Ryans face. "I've cleaned it the best I can, all we could do." Ben says as he walks away. I look at Ryan, his skin has gone pale, his breathing is short and full of pain, I notice that his muscles are twitching, reacting to the venom. "I'm here, Ryan. Everything's going to be ok." I say as tears fall from my eyes. It pains me to see him like this, he's always been there for us when things haven't gone the they were supposed to. He has defended us with everything he has, and now he is suffering because of it. I think back to conversation we had before the Scorpios attacked. "I shouldn't have walked away......you are my friend and I wish that we were more. I was wrong to say otherwise, I was scared......I ne ed you to come back, please Ryan, come back." I say while crying my eyes out. I need him, need him back.

"Taking the quills out wasn't enough. The venom is already in his system. Ryan needs an antidote." I hear Darius say. "An antidote? Ha, good luck finding something for a creature, no one existed." Kenji retorts back. I drone out what they are saying as I gaze at Ryan. He is in pain and there is nothing I could do to help him. ".....Wu was attacked by the Scorpios. They had a vial with red liquid inside. It could be an antidote." Brooklynn says as I perk up. An antidote. I get and speed towards Brooklynn. "It should be in the lab-." I interrupt her as I get in her face. "Where is this lab?" I say quickly. Sammy pulls out a map and hands to me. "Near the raptor pen." Brooklynn says as she leans over me before pointing out a spot on the northeast side of the island.

I look up with determination. "Take care of Ryan until I get back." I say as I hand the map back to Sammy. I bolt through Darius and Kenji and run out of the gate. I hear Darius shout out to me. "Wait Yaz! The Scorpios went that way." I turn sharply back to him. "I don't care what's out there? I'm saving him!" I scream out as I run off into the jungle.

I run through the jungle full pace. My lungs are screaming at me to stop but I can't, I can't stop. I need to get to the lab. A hear a roar from the Scorpios and I hide underneath a large tree. I look up to make sure that it isn't in the tree. I look around to make sure that nothing else is around before bolting off again. "Hang on, Ryan. Just hang on." I whisper to myself. I gasp as I come to a hard stop. The river, it's water has risen from the storm. I look around for something to cross. Nothing. I take a big breath before backing up. "Come on Yasmina, you can do this." I say to myself as I run and jump across the river. I just make it but I slip and fall into the river. "Aahh." I cry out as the strong current pulls down the river. I see hanging vines and I grab hold of one. I sigh in relief as I pull myself up and crawl over to a tree. I sit down in exhaustion.

"So you came up with nicknames for everyone before you even met us?" I ask Ryan while laughing. "It was just a thing that ACU does with its new recruits. It just pop into my head at the time." He says shyly. Even all that he said before down on the ground, he's just a teenager like the rest of us. I thought that I would spend my time at this camp by myself but maybe with Ryan, I can at least have a conversation where someone isn't trying to get up in my personal business. He's a tough guy but I can see that he has a heart of gold. Cute.