Battle Lines

Next Morning:

After seeing Kenji with the investors, noticing that he and his father now seem closer from yesterday....I feel that our job just got harder. And I was right let night, Kon has drawn the battle lines....he knows that we are against him and he is trying to protect himself, shield his interests away by doing the one thing that he knows can fulfill that protection......bringing Kenji to his side. And so far, he is winning. Before yesterday, Kenji was on our side but leaning towards Kon's, but today..... Kenji's now on the line. After we left the roof, I told Brooklynn, Darius and Ben of my findings at the warehouse. To say that they were horrified would be an understatement. Ben was absolutely livid at Kon's treatment of Mae, Darius as mad but Brooklynn was scared.....she now has a slight understanding of how Kon thinks when behind closed doors and that's terrifies her. They also told me that Kash and Mae tested the chip on Big Eatie, the chip works perfectly and Kash was able to control Big Eatie, she was completely at his mercy.....knowing that, I started to think about the consequences of such an action. Every animal on this island is now at the mercy of these chips....examples start to run through my head like King Richard, Big and Little Eatie, obviously, the raptors, Yutyrannus, Galen and even the Spinosaurus. Realization just draws that there are more carnivores on this island than I thought before......we are seriously fucked, in every sense of the word.

We decided to wait until the morning to speak with Kenji, hoping that a good night's rest will elevate our fears. When we were walking back to our rooms, I could visibly see Brooklynn's guilt weighing her down, her eyes never looked up, her shoulders slack so low that it looks like she's the smallest out of all of us.....but the main thing were the dried tears, cascading down her face. When we woke, the new day and nights rest did not reprieve any of it, we know that what happened last night has hurt Kenji, and what is going to happen today.....even more so. Brooklynn stands in front of the common room, debating or readying herself to enter. Darius and Ben walk up beside and place reassuring hands on her shoulders, she glances back at us as Sammy, Yaz and I form up the rear of the group. We nod in comfort and gaze at her with looks of promise, to stand and back her up, she nods and breathes deeply. She opens the door and before is Kenji, packing away the table plates and cutlery. We see him turn his shoulder but he doesn't glance at us, he turns back and continues putting the cutlery away. Me and Yaz grab Darius and Ben and pull them away, leaving Brooklynn and Kenji alone on the foyer. Brooklynn walks up to him and stumbled her words, she breathes to steady herself. "Kenji...I'm so, so sorry that I...." She starts but Kenji interrupts her. "...stood me up?" He says on an even tone but I can her the hurt laced within. He is not happy, not happy at all. "I...I know it looks bad....is bad, but....but I had a good reason. Darius, Ben and I had found out that.....your dad had freed Kash. And has Mae working with him to perfect the dino control. And they've done it." Brooklynn says as she tries desperately to reason with him but I can see the narrowed look on Kenji's face, he slams the plates to table with a thud before turning to her. "Are you serious?" He says in a non-believing tone, like she made a terrible joke. "She's telling the truth....so I would listen if I were you." I say as everyone looks at me, Kenji scoffs and looks back at Brooklynn. "Ryan is right, he saw and heard them, in the warehouse at the far end of the biome. Your dad lied about changing the presentation, he is going with the mind control chip. That is what today is about." She says but Kenji shakes his head. "I wasn't talking about my dad when I said if you were serious. I was talking about you." He says with hurt as he points at her. "So instead of showing up to our first date, you decided to sneak around begin be my back....to prove that my dad is what, some sort of supervillain?" Kenji asks.....I see that it wasn't that she didn't show up, or even about our belief about his dad, but more that we didn't tell him about it, we just did without thinking what he thought. "We should go." Sammy whispers as she begins to walk away but Yaz pulls her back in. "Right....we should hear this." Sammy says, seeing no point on trying to leave anymore. "It wasn't like what you make it out to be. We tried to get Brooklynn back....but there were obstacles." Ben says as I scoff. "If you count two raptors and a wall of drones as an obstacle." I grumble to myself, but Yaz elbows me. "I don't care. I'm not even mad at that. Why didn't you guys just talk to me about any of this?" Kenji says....finally getting to the point of his frustration. "You were getting so close to your dad, we didn't want to bring it up unless we were sure we found something." Darius says but Kenji looks at him with anger and hurt. "Besides all that.....would you have believed us anyway?" Yaz says as silence echoes in the room. We look at Kenji to await his response to her question, he goes to say something but doesn't. No.....he wouldn't. "If you're so sure that he's up to something....I'll go talk to him." He says with anger as he walks to the door. He pulls it open and glare back at us. "And for the record, you guys are the ones who are obviously up to something." He says finally before slamming the door, almost rattling it with the amount of force. We'll that could've gone better.