Out of The Pack

Kon Penthouse, Isla Nublar

P.O.V: Kenji

After yesterday, Dad decided that everyone needed to get a good night's sleep. The penthouse wasn't stocked not designed to hold so many people and Molina refused to sleep anywhere but a warm bed. Dad slept on the master and Molina in the guest room. Hawkes and his mercs kept watch throughout the night, interchanging with each other. Mae tried to sleep but she tossed and turned......she appeared to be having a nightmare, the only thing I could get from her nightmare induced mumbles were Kash and raptors. Realization hit like a ton of bricks, she still remembers when Kash tried to kill her and set the raptors on her......I should have realized that a lot earlier, if I was Mae, I wouldn't be able to forget......not forgive it.

With that train of thought, I think to when Dad convinced me that what I was doing on Mantah Corp was right, I believed it then and I still believe it now but seeing Mae with Dad and the knowledge that he did, willingly, let Kash go free made me doubt his reasons. He said that he needed Kash's tech but...... technology is technology. Surely, Kash would have kept blueprints for the chips and the BRADs on files on the computer, how hard could it be for dad to hire another programmer like Kash? Seeing Mae on this island made me happy, she loves these animals.....I don't know why, maybe because of their large and forgotten wonder. I don't see the appeal.....but Mae does......so does Darius.

"Hey, Kon. You focused!" I break from my thoughts and turn to see Hawkes holding a slab of meat in his hand. I look around and see that it's now daytime and I remember that Dad ordered me and Hawkes to feed Toro. 'Can't have a dinosaur frontage presentation, if it's starved half to death', that's what Dad said. "Yeah, I'm fine. Go." I say as he throws the slab towards Toro. I look down at the controller quickly and command Toro to catch the meat. The Carnotaur does so with flying colours as I make him chimp and swallow the meat. "Again. Go." I say as Hawkes does so. The meat flies over Toro's horns but I maneuver him to twist his head up and catch it. He sinks his teeth and gobbles it down. Me and Hawkes repeat the process twice further until we see Dad and Mae walking over to us. I take a quick look at Mae and see that she is hanging her head down, a sad expression on her face and heavy bags under her eyes. "Nice moves, son." Dad says to me and I look back at him, I smile gratefully at his praise.....I go to say something, but a quick growl and snarl catches my attention. We all look over and see Molina hop, skipping and dancing away from a trio of Compy's. She tries to kick one but it steps to the side and nips at her shoe. I look at dad with an amused eye and bring the controller up.

I moved Toro over to Molina, lowering his head down to Molina, almost level with her back. Molina looks like she is talking to someone on the phone as I control Toro to release a soft but threatening growl. The Compy's run in fear at the larger predator as Molina gasps and turns swiftly. She gasps at the closeness of Toro, she leans to the side and glares a hole through me. I smile back at her with an amused expression and pull Toro away from her. It was nice to see her scared, the uptight and rude bitch needs to be taken down a peg......I think I would suffer another lecture from Darius, Brooklynn, Ben, Yaz and Ryan, rather than listen to her tell us how great and rich she is. On this island, none of that shit matters, we might have protection with Hawkes and his mercs, the safety of the penthouse and a Carnotaur under our control. But that doesn't mean shit if you get lost and wander to a territory where the host won't appreciate it. I remember the day that me and Brooklynn went for a walkabout, just to see the sights and collect decorations for the treehouse.....any to run for our lives when we accidentally entered the Triceratops territory, let's just say that the Alpha was not happy....not in the slightest.

I broke from my trail of thought when Molina walked over to us and jumps away from a Compy that wasn't deterred by Toro. "Uhh. These pests are everywhere." Molina says in disgust as I wince. Pests, they might be, but in a pack, they are not to be trifled with. One is cute, two is alright, three is bad........ten is death. "Those 'pests' have venom in their bites, I wouldn't be so quick to judge." Mae says in annoyance to Molina who just shrugs. I hear the engine blades of a helicopter blade as we all look up and see a chopper heading for the penthouse's pier. "Best not to keep him waiting." Molina says as she shoulders checks Mae. I gaze sympathetically at her as she winces and rubs her shoulder. "You should go too, Dr. Turner." Dad says to Mae who just nods sadly. "Right. Of course." She walks past us, her head is hung low and her eyes are barely leaving the ground. I watch her go past and go to ask if she's alright. I know that she isn't, but it is hard to just ask. Before I can stop Mae, Dad grabs my shoulder and pulls my attention back to him. "So, I've been thinking, son." He says as I look up at him. "I'd like you to do the demonstration for BioSyn." He says with pride as I stare wide eyed. "Me?" I ask as he chuckles. "Don't sound so surprised, my boy. With what you and I have accomplished these past few days, I couldn't ask nor trust a better person to lead the demonstration. You have shown me have much you've matured. Just......keep it up." He says to me with a slight awkwardness. My eye twitches in confusion at the slight but that's not what's important right now. He trusts me and is proud of me. I nod my head and a determined, cocky smile widens across my face. I pull the controller up and turn Toro around. The three of us walk shoulder to shoulder as we make our way to the dock. Time to meet the buyer.