The Core

A.N: Hey Readers......wow. 56 chapters. And we are so close to the finish. I can't even begin to tell you the journey that has led me here. I want to thank everyone who has followed this story and understands that I appreciate all the love, the criticism, the questions, everything. This story was my first attempt at fanfiction and...everything since then has been because of you. Thank you all, for all the love and support. Back to the story, these last few chapters were the ones that I was the most excited for, these episodes were some of my favourite and I was looking forward to writing them. I had plans on top of plans for these chapters, particularly this one. I won't spoil anything but the only thing that I hope for is that you, the readers, will see this and the final chapters and say......."Legendary". But that's my hope, I'll leave the opinions up to you. Enjoy.

Forest Biome, Mantah Corp Island:

P.O.V Change: Yaz

"Come on, slow poke!" I shout out happily to Ryan as I run through the trees of the biome. I hear Ryan laugh, glancing over my shoulder, I see him vault over a rock as he edges ever closer to me. "I'm not slow......and for that, you better run faster." He says jokingly as I quicken my pace. "Or what? You'll catch me?" I say teasingly as I dart under a log. I glance behind and see Ryan almost right behind me, I nearly trip at seeing him get so close. "Yeah. That's the idea." He says with a smirk. I smile at him and drop into a full sprint.

This is what I needed. Time to just relax, not worry about anything other than the run. When I told Ryan and Ben that I was going out to have a run, at first, they were apprehensive because of the Rexes but eventually conceded. Ryan decided to join me the run, saying that it'll be like old times back on Nublar. I smiled at remembering how we used to run and train before the break of dawn. Before we started the run, I slapped Ryan on the chest, 'Tag! You're it!', I said to him, before bolting into the trees, Ryan's roar of laughter was the only thing that I heard. I break from my thoughts when I cross over our path, avoiding a thick tree. I push through the shrubbery and see that I have come out to where the lookout platform is. I smile at getting here first but my smile drops when I hear the thudding of feet on wood. I look to the side and see Ryan running up along the length of a fallen tree trunk before jumping towards me. I slow down to avoid him colliding into me but to my amazement he continues his momentum and rolls into a ball before kicking back up into a sprint.

"Gotta keep up!" He shouts as I narrow my eyes. "Hey! Not fair!" I shout before sprinting again. Ryan might be conditioned to run but I have been training to run for my whole life, I will not let him have this......no way in hell. I catch up to him as we stand side by side, seeing his eyes alight with joy and his lips curl into a mischievous smile. I return his expression and cross in front of him, weaving through the trees and shrubs of the path. Ryan mirrors my movement as we interchange and weave with each other, mimicking each other in synchronization......almost like a dance.

We turned around the last tree, finally coming to the final stretch, through the foliage, I can see the plates and spikes of Pierce but also the faint whit wand blue spine of the hybrids. Me and Ryan run shoulder to shoulder, almost perfectly even as we run with everything that we have left in the tank, out breath is starting to become strenuous, our muscles are exploding with soreness but neither of us acknowledge them. The only thing that is on our minds.....is beating the other person. I shallow my breath and power through the pain and push forward, slowly gaining a few centimetres ahead of Ryan. And finally, at the finish line.....I run through the foliage, see Angel and Rebel being attended by Ben. Seeing that I have the lead, I jump over his head, earning a startled scream as he ducks underneath. I come to stop at the water's edge as I get my breathing back.

I hear Ryan catching his breath as well as I glance out of the corner of my eye and see him with his hands behind his head, his chest raising and falling with each intake of breath. I see the sweat rolling down his forehead and arms as I gaze, appreciating, at his fit form. I see him glance at me, catching a leering gaze as I embarrassingly look away. Ryan laughs at me, and I look back up at him. Feeling his infectious humor, I start laughing too. "Um...you guys, ok?" I hear Ben ask as I hang my head back in a satisfied sigh. "Oh yeah. Definitely." Ryan says as he sits and lays down, opening is arms out in a relaxed spread. "I agree.....I forgot....how good it feels to run. I mean.....really run." I say as I lay beside Ryan, gazing up at the clear sky above. "For fun, right?" Ryan teases as I playfully slap him. Ben walks up to our heads as we look up at him, he has his hands on his hips as he smiles at us......I think. I can't tell from being upside down. "Can't say I relate. But I'm glad you guys had a good time." He says before walking back over to Angel and Rebel." I chuckle at Ben's compliment.