07 | australian grand prix pt. ii

Windsor knows how to throw a party.

        An older man stands guard, checking off the names of everyone entering the party. Once he confirms we're on the list, a familiar man who entered earlier waits for us. With the dark and turbulent atmosphere, I don't recognize him until we're inside.

        He extends his hand. "We missed each other at the race. I'm Rix."

        Jun shakes it. "Hey! Jun. And this is—"

        "Don't worry, I know who you are," he interrupts with a laugh. "The whole grid was buzzing about you. And one of the Hemsworth brothers but I can never tell them apart."

        "One is the god of thunder," says Seira. "The others are....not."

        "You're a driver for Ventura, right?"

        "Yes, but I'm old friends of Windsor," he laughs, ushering further into the party. "Thought I'd pay them a visit before my team cracks down on us for the final races."

        Waves of triumph and euphoria wash over us. Neon lights ricochet off chrome decor, hurling streams of silver through the air like the inside of a disco ball. The music feels like it's playing within us, and I find myself swaying to the beat as we walk over to an empty table.

        Rix holds his hand up and a server comes to take our drink orders.

        "Do all of you leave tomorrow?" I ask.

        He rests his elbows on the table. "Most of us. We have another race next weekend. But at least it isn't a triple header. Those are rough."

        "I can imagine."

        Musicians know a thing about timing. Exhibit A: Team Principal Geoff walks up to the stage seconds after we sit down.

        The spotlight shifts to him as he clears his throat, snatching everyone's attention away from their conversations. In an instant, the group erupts into a roar of applause, and he humbly waves at everyone with a smile.

        "Hey, Team. Just want to thank all of you for showing up tonight. This year has been full of surprises and hardships, but we've worked through it together and that hard work is paying off. If next week goes well, we have a good chance of securing the Constructors' Championship!"

        Brendon is nowhere to be found.

        "We wanted to throw something special for this weekend, regardless of the race results, because we all missed the Melbourne race last year. And as one of the newest members of our team, we wanted to celebrate Bash's home race in style. Speaking of, where is our Grand Prix winner?"

        Brendon shoots out from behind a group of people on the opposite end of the club, and he walks up to the stage, waving his hand in the air.

        Geoff wraps one arm around his shoulder, showing him off like he's the gold sculpture sitting behind them on a table.

        "In his first year at Windsor, Bash has made us all so proud, pushing through a rough start to the year and ending up P1 at his home race. The first for any Aussie driver. I think that deserves another round of applause, don't you?"

        Rix whoops and hollers, pumping his fist in the air and, somehow, draws Brendon's attention, his eyes locking on all of us amid an adoring crowd.

        Brendon leans over to speak into the microphone. "And we can't forget about Idris. As one of my biggest inspirations growing up, I owe all of it to him."