47 | the most wonderful time of the year

"....'cause it's lights out and away we run."

My voice fades out as Brendon strums the last chord, letting the note carry into the wind.

I smile bigger than I ever have before, and Brendon takes it upon himself to drag me back to him after placing the guitar on the side. The notebook sitting on my lap slips between us, and I have to wedge it out of my side so I can look over the lyrics once more. The strumming pattern and chords are scribbled a little more haphazardly beneath the words, courtesy of Brendon's messy handwriting.

"You know I have to show this to Maverick now, right?"

When I look, he already has my phone out to take a picture. I watch as he attaches the voice note recording along with his picture and sends it off to the spoon in question. While we wait for Maverick's response, he places the guitar down and grabs our empty cups to get us more water. It takes barely five minutes for the reply to come through.

[ MAVERICK ]

Stevie.

What the fuck.

Are you kidding me?

What is this?

Is that bOY WONDER PLAYING THE GUITAR?

I'm suing you.

But before I do, can I get another recording?

Can I be there when MARS records this in the studio?

[ STEVIE ]

think i might put my phone on airplane mode for the next twelve hours.

[ MAVERICK ]

No.

Absolutely not.

Stevie.

STEVIE.

STEVIE, ANSWER ME RIGHT NOW.

DON'T YOU DARE—

I click off my phone. If MARS has any emergency, it will have to wait until I'm done being petty. When Brendon comes back a few seconds later with our waters, he takes note of the way my phone has been tossed onto the opposite end of the couch.

"He's not going to stop calling you. You know that, right?"

"He can certainly have fun reaching my voicemail."

"You're hot when you're being mean."

I flick my hair over my shoulder and accept the drink from his outstretched hand. "It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it."

All jokes aside, finishing this song that Brendon and I spontaneously started working on a few days gives me goosebumps when I hear it back. Although my Aussie has a way with words, he doesn't give himself much credit, so roping him into indulging me took real effort, and convincing him to be the one to play the guitar in the rough demo I can show the rest of the band was even more work. But the final product of our restless minds and sleepless nights is something I truly believe everyone else will be eager to hear, and possibly pursue for a future project. I can already imagine Lauren crying while listening to it.