33 | new perspectives

The next two months are a blur.

MARS isn't stagnant. We aren't even a single planet in an entire solar system; thanks to the overwhelmingly positive response of Escape Velocity, we are the solar system. Every planet, every star, every infinite square inch of dark matter belongs to us, is made of us.

"It's him again," Seira taunts, leaning over the center console and resting her head against my shoulder as she watches me open texts from Brendon.

I shove her off. "Leave me alone."

"We're in a car."

Rami adds, "And she's living vicariously through you since no fish have been tugging on her bait."

"Says the guy who hasn't even looked at a woman for the past four years."

"Maybe it's because I'm not interested in anyone."

"Yeah, just interested in your hand—"

"Leave each other alone," I scold.

After a few weeks of not seeing each other and barely having time to call between timezone changes, interviews, and races, we find one outlet of solace in the chaos. An anchor to keep us still amidst the ravenous seas of our industries.

        The playlists aren't placeholders for love letters or anything like that. Simply songs we enjoy and want the other person to enjoy as well. When I fall asleep most nights, it's to the music curated in Brendon's playlist.

After convincing Jenny to let us borrow the car for the night so we can wander around Milan for a couple of hours before we have to head back to the States, the three of us have been careening down the Italian highway.

Rami pulls the car into a Carrefour parking lot so we can grab something quick to eat on our way back to the hotel. I take my time following them inside and ring Brendon back.

"The Daddy Issues song is a nice touch," I tell him.

"I knew you'd appreciate it. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is exactly the kind of light-hearted song I expected you to add to yours."

        "Shame he's a bit of a fash."

"It is. And he is."

"How's your week been?"

"Mum finally called and tried to apologize for Dad's behavior at brunch," he explains. "But when I asked her to put him on the phone, she said he wasn't home so it kind of makes the attempt moot. Hence the song."

"I'm sorry." My words soften. "He's a dick and she enables him. They don't deserve you."

"I miss you."

A warm breeze coasts across my skin as I close my eyes. "I miss you too."

"I need to hop into a meeting but I can call you after I'm done." The cruelty of being in the same timezone for the first time in months and still not being aligned. "You can tell me about your week."

"My week can wait. Tell me about yours. Call when you're free."

When we hang up the phone, I'm jolted back to reality when footsteps descend upon me. I spin to see Rami walking toward me with his hands tucked into his pockets.

"If you don't hurry up, Seira is going to steal all of the chocolate croissants."

"Over my dead body."