42 | brendon

I can't remember the last time I felt this happy.

        It's not only because of Brendon. I'm not the kind of person to place this much weight on my relationship status. But it also doesn't mean he isn't a huge reason why I wake up with this huge, shit-eating grin on my face.

        Sinking into his touch comes too easily when his arm tightens around my waist, followed shortly by his face in the crook of my neck where he presses a warm kiss. I'm like a pebble being dropped into an ocean of all things Brendon, completely at the mercy of his currents.

        "Good morning."

        He groans into my skin, sending shivers down my spine. "Morning."

        "I'm so tired."

        "Sorry."

        "It's a good kind of tired."

        Brendon leverages himself to force me to roll over onto my back so he can look down at me, amused. "Not sorry."

        After stealing his shirt he's never getting back and going to the bathroom before bed, I fall asleep completely worn out. The only reason I'm even awake this early is because we leave the shades up, so when the sun rises, we do as well.

        It's a feeling I can get used to, waking up in his arms. Not that this hasn't happened before, but it's different. I don't believe in all that crap about sex forming some strong emotional bond between two people, but it's about the totality of the night. The refusal to let night turn into day without admitting what we've been skirting around for months.

      "You're so pretty," I tell him, entranced by the way his soft, sleepy features are enhanced by the soft glow of the morning sun. I drag my fingers across his skin, running them along the curve of his lips. He kisses my fingertips. "It's unfair. I don't think you have a bad angle."

        He scoffs, pulling me closer to him. "Says the most beautiful person I've ever seen."

        "I'm sorry I took so long."

        "Stop apologizing."

        I bury my face in his chest. I'd stop time to live in this moment forever. Vulnerable, tired, so god damn in love. Why does falling in love feel so incredibly silly? Hey, me. Want to turn into a fool every time this person looks in your direction? Sure! Be sure to make everyone else know they're yours. And that you're theirs.

        "Imagine how much more time we could have had if I wasn't a toad."

        Brendon laughs and I feel it through my entire body. I like being able to touch his bare chest and feel his heart racing beneath my fingers. "I like our time together." Leaning over, he stretches his body all along the side of mine, capturing me between the mattress. Suffocation by Brendon kisses doesn't sound bad. "And you're my favorite toad."

        "I like kissing you."

        "I like kissing you more."

        "I love you."

        Brendon forces my face up gently by pressing his knuckles under my chin. "And I love you."

        "You think everyone will be mad if we don't show up tonight?"

        "Think so."

        I wrap my leg around his waist and pull him closer. "Damn. I want to stay here all day."

        "Think everyone will know what's up if you do that."

        "Bold of you to think I'm not going to scream I love you every second of every day."