bonus chapter 03 | end game pt. ii

BRASIL, DEC 2023

As much fun as it was, missing the start of the race because we were making fun of Maverick wasn't going to hold over so well when we looked back on this day. Teasing him could be done (and would be done) on any other day., Watching the start of a race where Brendon could win his first championship title happened less frequently. "We should probably get going if we want to catch Brendon before he has to line up."

Roman looked like he wanted to barf. "We get to see him before?"

"Yeah, silly goose." I taped Fake Bash under the chin. "He needs to see his good luck charms."

"How does my hair look?" he asked. Even without looking at her, I felt the judgmental presence of Everleigh's eyeroll.

"Like a million bucks."

"Come on, Leigh." Seira waved her over, boozy broads-in-arms. All they needed were a couple of Billy Loomises to paint the perfect picture. (Not that they weren't the perfect picture all on their own.) (I could stare at them both all day.) "Windsor has an open bar for their VIP.:"

Maverick looked betrayed. "Why didn't you say that earlier—"

"Let's go," she continued, not even bothering to look in his direction.

All of the women linked arms as we strolled through the paddock in search of Windsor's building and their illustrious open bar which had already been put to good use well before the clock struck noon. As always, Windsor's base was pristine and flashy while still welcoming, and I enjoyed the cool breeze of air conditioning that hit me as soon as we walked inside.

"Welcome to Windsor, besties."

The newest guest took in their surroundings with an apparent appreciation for the aesthetic. "This is gorgeous," Everleigh said.

"Especially the open bar." Seira didn't waste any time. "Leigh, what can I get you?"

"Not a ka-chow!"

"Sounds like moonshine," Everleigh followed up defiantly.

"Coming right up." Seira ran off to order the drink.

If there was one thing my boyfriend was better at than most, it was his impeccable timing. Whether it was scoring the fastest lap on almost every race or arriving at the main Windsor lobby right when his group of friends walked in, his skills held no exception and he knew how to utilize them better than the rest. (Myself included.)

"Do we have any tissues around here?"

"Why?" Rami asked.

I would never get over seeing Brendon Ellis in a racing suit.

He walked down the stairs, entered the main room, and effectively blew everyone out of the water. I honestly couldn't be sure who was more impressed by the sight in front of us—myself or Roman. But it didn't really matter because we were both starstruck either way and just as I did each time I saw him, I fell in love more and more, unsure of how it was possible to love someone this much. His hair was slicked back so neatly that I wanted to run my fingers through it, messing it up in a way I knew it already would once he started the race. And though he was riddled with nerves about how today was going to go, he still held that spark in his eye, the one that showed the world how determined he was to become the champion he was always meant to become.

"No reason," I said.

Everleigh calculated the rate of embarrassment regarding Roman's one-track mind. Once his favorite driver Brendon Sebastian Ellis had entered the room, no one else mattered, Fake Bash was barely hanging on as it was.