38 | hawai'i

Rami's mother and sister are waiting for us in the private pick-up area when we exit the airport after grabbing our luggage. After the almost six-hour plane ride, the humidity hits me as if I've walked straight into a wall, and I'm already wiping at tiny droplets of sweat forming at the back of my neck.

        "Hi, Mama," I greet her when she comes forward to embrace me after saying hello to her son. "I missed you."

        "You look so good, Stevie." Rami's mother pulls away and pinches my cheeks. "Face is glowing. Cheeks are full. You're happy."

        I laugh and pull back so I can greet Rami's sister. "Happy to be back."

        Rana practically throws herself at me the second she has enough lead-up and open-air.

        "Where's the boyfriend?"

        "There's no boyfriend."

        Rana sighs. "Fine. Partner."

        "That's not what I meant."

        "Stevie, I started watching Formula One because of him. Where is he?"

        I shoot an accusatory glare at Rami.

        "I didn't say anything. Ask Jun."

        The man in question doesn't bat an eyelash.

        "I've traded intel for the past few months so she'd send me more of my favorite ube and furikake chips."

        "You're such a spoon."

        "Spoon?" Jun laughs. "That's all you've got?"

       "Consider yourself lucky I'm not calling you a spork. Alternatively, I've also recently learned knorks are a thing—"

        "Now that would be uncalled for."

        "Think I'll trade your discomfort for free snacks."

        Rana taps me on the shoulder. "Seriously, Stevie, where's boy wonder? I heard he's even cuter in person."

        "His flight lands in a few hours so he said he'd rent a car," I answer at the same time Jun replies, "Yes, he is. Smokin'."

        "Can't wait to meet him. And nice."

        "I'm leaving."

        Rami'smom uses the opportunity to usher all of us into two separate cars. Marty played it smart by flying in earlier this morning since dealing with all of us while traveling causes them, in his own words, immense and immeasurable pain.

       "Half of you have the honor of driving with Rana who's finally gotten her driver's license at the ripe age of twenty."

        "Mama."

        I hold out my hand. "Take the long route? I need to see my island again. I'll tell you all about boy wonder."

        Rana shakes without hesitation. "It's a deal."

...

After driving through Kaimuki and sneaking a stop at Coffee Talks for a drink, we arrive at Marty's house.

        "Please don't tell me you made lau lau."

        Aunty Kehlani doesn't look up, a small smile tugging at her lips. "I made lau lau."

        "I am going to cry."

        Jun comments on Marty opening up all of the backdoors so the house opens up into the backyard more as the equivalent of Marty putting his Crocs into sport mode.