48 | grammys pt. iii

"God, why do we have to be so close to the front—"

        "Almost like you're up for eight awards," Maverick says.

        "It's nine, actually, but the camera is going to be so close to my damn face. I hate it."

        Brendon leans forward in his seat so he can brush my hair behind my ear. "You look beautiful."

        "Can someone just knock me out so I don't have to worry about it—"

        Jun's cheeks are a little too red to be sober. "Should've gotten drunk like we did."

        "Shocked you didn't," Everleigh says.

        Maverick stares. "Shouldn't you be encouraging them to drink water or something, nurse?"

        "I'm off duty. And drinking helps."

        My phone is out by the time she stops. "I'm texting Jenny to see if someone can bring us champagne."

        "Maybe they have some—" Jun starts.

        Lauren places her hand over his. "Baby, they don't have Capri Sun. Nice try."

        He slinks into his chair. "Why not—"

        "Here," Everleigh says before reaching into her pockets. Surprising all of us, most of all Jun, she pulls out a Capri Sun. Hawai'i Cooler, of course. She hands it to him and he accepts the pouch like it's a handful of gold. "Enjoy."

        Maverick's jaw nearly drops to the floor. "No actual way you had that in your damn pocket."

        "I literally love you. You can have as many sneak peeks as you want. You're an honorary member of MARS now."

        "It's the only one I brought. Enjoy it."

        Seira nods toward the stage. "The stage is turning on."

        "End me now. I can't breathe." A server walks over to us with a flute of champagne on the tray—bless the almighty Jenny—and I accept it faster than Maverick and a bad bet. "God, thank you so much. You're a lifesaver."

        Brendon rubs the back of my neck and I dissolve like champagne bubbles. "Better?"

        "Much better."

        Rami leans over Seira. "Smile for the cameras. If you need to pee in the middle of the ceremony, don't let Jenny see."

        The lights dim as we all nod. My heart takes flight inside my chest, forcing a puff of air past my lips. I look behind and Brendon gives a gentle, encouraging smile.

        I briefly catch Maverick's eyes before I turn around. Being as close as we are means knowing what the other is thinking without having to say something. No matter what he tells himself, this night means as much to him as it does to us, and he's doing everything to maintain his composure.

        "Hey, Mav?"

        He looks at me. "Yes?"

        I hand my champagne flute to Seira and turn back, Starting by pinching my fingers together to form circles, followed by holding up a single finger, I sign, "No one else I'd rather have with us for this. I love you."

        Cross any ocean, battle any demons, conquer any fatal flaws. I have a lot to learn, but while our first language is music, we understand each other in every other way. Watching him cry when he realizes what I'm doing is worth all the practice learning ASL. (Seira and Brendon make great partners.)(I don't think Maverick would recover if he realized we all started learning it.)