25 | the L

Fans of MARS have been long-awaiting the arrival of new music and this week, they've been rewarded.

After the stunning release of their debut album, Nuclear Fusion, back in 2018 which took the world by storm and earned them their first Grammy nominations—Best New Artist and Best Group/Duo Performance for their title track—MARS has been a staple amongst the top of the charts. Along with their success came a deluxe edition with four new songs that propelled them even further, and they have yet to find themselves coming back down to Earth since.

With their highly anticipated return, MARS brings along the likes of Maverick, a long-time friend of the group since working together on the soundtrack for Keira Lim's film Work, Wife, starring Maver Vincent and Nikita Wong. Eager fans will find this collaboration unsurprising as the group was spotted entering their favorite studio back in Los Angeles with the famous DJ earlier this year (along with a blonde woman who is definitely not his girlfriend *wink*). Maverick is still riding high off of his recent EP, Revive, which has received its own critical and commercial success—and lots of award talk already, though we're a little doubtful since The Recording Academy doesn't have a good track record of rewarding "smaller" efforts like EPs—but if you would like to see our full review on the EP click here.

The newest song from MARS feat. Maverick is called 'The L' and we've already got so many great things to say about it—along with literally everyone else on the planet but keep reading our review, thank you very much.

A clear nod to their contributions to Work, Wife, 'The L' has plenty of Chicago references, as well as a few unexpected (not so unexpected if you're familiar with Maverick's work). Opening with Maverick's smooth voice, catchy lyrics draw the listener in before transitioning to MARS' classic delivery of perfection. From lead singer Stevie's flawless voice—a strong and surprisingly good blend with her friend Maverick's—to the touching and meaningful lyrics. There's been no official word yet on an upcoming album which fans have been hounding for for the past (almost) four years, but this is another addition to a strong catalog of single releases from the Hawai'i-born band.

While it's still too early to predict award nominations, MARS are a fan favorite of the Recording Academy, and, well, dare we say the work they've done on 'The L' just might be worthy of a Grammy nomination for Best Group/Duo Performance.

Expect to see these two collaborating acts at the top of the charts for a long time. And, if the rest is anything like this new song, when MARS inevitably drops their sophomore album, start taking your bets for some big awards to follow. These five members are true artists in their own rights, and together, they're the brightest star in the solar system.

...

Seeing our music become a critical and commercial success will never feel normal.

And yet, here we are, starstruck at the sight of our own accomplishments. Not even a full week out from the release of The L and industry professionals are predicting a number one debut on the charts. Reactions on social media have been so colossal I haven't been able to keep my eye on all of it. Too much of a good thing can be overwhelming. While I appreciate the love the internet is showering us with for this single, I will explode under the weight of their compliments if I stare at them any longer.

I kick my feet against the floorboard of Jun's car, squealing like a child who's been told they're going to Disneyland for the first time.

"Should we pick up something to drink?" Jun asks, shooting a glance at the clock on his dash. "They gotta have something good out here."