45 | brasilian grand prix pt. i

It doesn't take long to spot him once we arrive at the Windsor garage. When Idris spots us as he walks outside, he points in Brendon's direction. We high-five as I skip past to get to my Aussie.

He's speaking to a couple of mechanics when I rush up behind him, placing my hands over his eyes. The Windsor crew smile at us, but the image slips away from me when he turns around in my arms; when Brendon is here, I'm only ever lost in him.

"You didn't guess who it was."

"As if I didn't know it was you."

"What if it was Ma—"

Brendon presses a finger to my lips. "What did I say about mentioning that man's name around me again?"

"I was going to say Maverick. He's actually my height."

"Little bit taller."

"Emphasis on the little."

"How are you feeling?"

While Idris sits near the front of the pack just behind Bruno, Brendon has to settle for a P5 start after having problems with the car yesterday. He wasn't able to get much out of the car during qualifying which isn't ideal, but P5 also isn't the worst place to start. Plus, his team says they've fixed whatever the issue was last night, so he still has a fighting chance.

I know he's reminding himself of this too. With how much is riding on this one race, his nerves must be in complete overdrive, and I'm not sure anything I can say can calm them.

"Good." He pulls me close. "Better now that you're here."

"Good luck charm to the rescue. Not that you need it." I glance back at the car and all its glory. "How's the car doing?"

"She's alright," Brendon laughs. He taps his shoe against one of the tyres. "A little moody yesterday but she feels better."

I lean down so I'm eye-level with it. "Treat my baby well today, please. This race means a lot to him and I need you both to find me at the finish line when you win this damn thing. Got it?"

It stares back at me like the inanimate object that it is. I think she gets the point.

Maverick confessed to me one night that Everleigh gets turned on when he mentions that Scream 2 is his favorite out of all of the Scream films. When I see how Brendon is looking at me give his car a pep talk, I get all tingly because I know this is his favorite sweet talk.

"What's her name?" I ask.

"You're going to laugh."

"No, I'm not."

He debates leaving me hanging but decides against it at the last second.

"Gale. Weathers, not Hawthorne."

"No way," I mumble through my fingers.

"I lost a bet with Brooks last year. It's his favorite franchise."

"That's the best name I've ever heard. Suits her well."

After sending Everleigh a picture of Gale, I pocket my phone. "Seriously though. You've got this. All of these people—they're cheering for you. And no matter what happens, they're all so proud of you."

He raises a brow. "All of them?"

"All of them. Told me themselves. Every single one."