16 | baja be thy blast

Jun and I pull into the Taco Bell parking lot a few minutes after six o'clock, just as Everleigh steps out of her cab for our casual dinner before she leaves LA.

"Hey, queen!"

Everleigh turns at the sound of my voice, waving back at me. She looks tired but fights to put a smile on her face.

"Hiya!" Everleigh replies. "How was the fitting?"

"I...survived." Barely. "Fittings are never fun. How was your...waking up?" I laugh.

"It was...something. I'm thankful for the invitation to go outside."

"Going outside is very important." Jun nods. "Or so I've been told."

"Also thanks for coming here," I add. "Shocker but we usually don't have to worry about being stalked going to Taco Bell."

"This is holy ground after all."

Everleigh picks up on Jun's comment. "I didn't study religion but the story goes that Jesus turned water into Baja Blast, right?"

I bite back a smile. "I think that's precisely what happened, yes."

"Who knew we would be the ones to fulfill the quest of the holy grail?" Jun asks.

"That alone deserves dinner," Everleigh suggests.

I wave Everleigh ahead. "Lead the way, my fellow knight of the round table."

Everleigh accepts the lead. When she opens the door, she holds it in place for both of us to walk ahead of her.

Before she has a chance to close the door behind her, I spot a new poster.

"Bro. No way."

Jun pulls away. "What?"

I point at the poster. "They brought back Mexican pizza!" I face Everleigh who looks intrigued and concerned. "Please tell me you've tried that before."

"I...Mexican pizza?"

A pained gasp escapes. "Girl—"

"We really said let's teach Everleigh the cultural significance of Mexican pizza."

"We only got Taco Bell in, like, 2018, guys—"

      "This is why they threw yall's tea overboard."

Everleigh laughs. "Suppose that makes my decision on what I want to eat...."

Nudging her over to the dining area, I look over my shoulder at Jun standing helplessly with his hands in his pockets.

"Jun, can you order the usual? And three Mexican pizzas, obviously. We'll grab a table in the back."

His eyes skip between the two of us. "Are you trying to make me carry everything over by myself—"

I wave him off. "Okay thanks, see you in a bit!"

Everleigh doesn't bother trying to get in between us, following me as we weave past the front of the dining area on our way to the back. A group of kids, probably around high school age, are huddled around two sets of tables. I rush past them with my head down so I don't draw their attention. I don't like to assume anyone in public is a fan waiting to pounce, but, for my own sake, playing safe is better than being sorry.

I sit closest to the wall while Everleigh takes the seat between us, providing a visual barrier since she's taller.

"Is this okay?" Everleigh asks. "Or do you want to try somewhere else?"