19 | empire state of mind pt. ii

Brendon knocks at my door.

        Movies never feel like real life. They're manufactured dreams brought to life so we can pretend they're achievable realities. I've never been fooled by the idea that my life could ever resemble a movie, and, as such, use them as a way to escape my own for a few hours at a time.

        But movies are supercuts of the best parts of life we find solace in because, whether we choose to believe it or not, they are very much reflections of reality. I learned that on a larger scale when we played at Madison Square Garden or saw our names up high on a screen at the Grammys. Those are all moments I've replayed a million times over in my dreams.

        I've also learned it in the smaller moments. Cheesy as it may be, opening my hotel room door to see Brendon leaning against the frame as he waits for me feels like a moment plucked straight out of a movie. And, without realizing it, I've written myself into this screenplay.

        "You look nice," he comments without letting his eyes travel down my body.

        "Thanks." I tuck my hair behind my ear and open the door so he can come inside. "I'm almost ready."

        Brendon takes a seat and flinches when Lauren's voice makes a surprise appearance.

         I forgot she was still on the call.

        "Is that Bash?"

        He smiles. "Is that Lauren?"

        "You actually have great timing. How long does your race thing go on for?"

        "First race is beginning of next month and the season goes until December."

        Since I'm running out of time, I rush to the bathroom and spritz dry shampoo in my hair. The two of them continue their conversation while I finish up.

        "Shucks. So you wouldn't, perhaps, be free sometime in the summer?" she asks.

        He hesitates. "We have a summer break but it's usually in August. We don't race every week, though." Brendon pauses. "Are you... planning something?"

        "We were just going over possible album release dates," Lauren relates. "And, you know, album release parties. All that stuff."

        "Depends on the weekend but if I'm free—"

        "Great!" Lauren interrupts. "Stevie will fill you in when we have an official date."

        "Sounds like a plan," he says.

        After a final check, I exit the bathroom and walk over to him, a trail of gardenia notes following behind me.

        "I gotta go, we're heading out to Mav's show," I tell her. "Hopefully he's not late this time."

        Lauren laughs. "Best of luck."

...

Maverick is late.

        While it's not as big as Madison Square Garden, it's still a decently sized crowd, and even though they've been sitting here waiting too long for him, the excitement still sits in the air.

        "I can't believe I already lost," I grumble into Brendon's ear. The poster board I'm holding under my jacket digs into my side and I shift it to a comfortable position.

        Like clockwork, the lights dim at the same time the music crescendoes into silence signaling our special guest's arrival. The three of us stand to get a better view of the stage and watch as the opening notes of I Liked Us Before The Lyrics Said So float across the stage and into the audience. Everyone cheers and I turn to watch Everleigh as Maverick jumps onto the stage. Her face breaks into a smile as she claps, cheering his name.