45 | brasilian grand prix pt. ii

Windsor still knows how to throw a party.

I try my best to put on a brave face as we enter the building, but all I want to do is crawl into Brendon's arms and never leave him.

The atmosphere doesn't allow me to do that and neither does the rest of MARS. They tiptoe around me since the end of the race, trying not to set me off into another fit of tears, but they have the party on their side now and they're using it to their advantage.

A drink is forced into my hands followed shortly by Jun saying, "I'm not peer pressuring you or anything. This is just a suggestion."

I take a sip and he claps like I'm a child learning how to eat by myself for the first time.

        "Happy?"

"Happy." He holds a finger up on either corner of my mouth and lifts them. "Happier when you're happy too."

"I feel bad, Jun. Fuck."

"Stop." Jun swings his arm around my shoulders and coaxes me into the crowd. Windsor crew members call out to me as they pass by, and I plaster a smile on my face when I return their greeting. "Bash is fine. He told you himself."

"I know but—god—I'm such a bloody wanker."

       "Okay, Everleigh."

       "No it's funny 'cause I'm literally on my pe–"

       "I'm aware, I know your cycle."

Intercepting us in the middle of the crowd, Lauren takes my other arm so I'm sandwiched between the two of them. She rests her head on my shoulder, and her curls bounce outward, tickling my cheek.

"Stevie. I'm gonna need you to stop being such a bloody wanker tonight, please."

       "I already made that joke."

       "Dammit."

Shaking both of them off, I spin on my heel and fan my arms out. See, I can be a normal person. "At your request."

The two of them shake their heads at me, clearly seeing through the bullshit, when Lauren's eyes travel upward. I don't have enough time to process the way her face shifts into a small smile when someone's arms come around on either side of me and their face is pressed into the crook of my neck. A small kiss I can recognize anywhere.

"Why are your mates scolding you about enjoying yourself?"

I twist around in Brendon's arms and place a hand on either side of his face. He's cleaned up from the race. Freshly showered, a dusting of cologne, a clean fit. He looks every bit like someone ready to enjoy themselves at a party, and here I am, being a knob about it all.

"Think you're mistaken."

Brendon shakes his head. "Don't think I am."

"That was definitely not me being a grump. Just someone that looks a lot like me."

Brendon shuts me up with a kiss. "You're lucky you're still just as beautiful as a grump or the party police would have kicked you out by now."

"And who would this party police be?"

"Me," Jun says and hands my drink back to me. "Drink up, bub."

Brendon uses a finger to lift the cup to my lips and I oblige, only because it's him. It's not even a midori sour or wine so I'm not enjoying myself as much as I should be.