10 | expectation vs reality

"Have you seen this movie?"

        Jun leans to get a better view of Everleigh's Instagram. I followed her the morning after the concer. Her account went private an hour later. I assume out of precaution in case MARS fans do some invasive digging into her account.

        She's a big fan of horror.

        "I don't think so," Jun answers. "Looks good, though. Gotta be better than Werewolf in the Catacomb."

         "The Room is better than Werewolf in the Catacomb." I shake my head, flying to update my Letterboxd watchlist. "You can tell she's got good taste in movies."

        The house is quiet since everyone else is out. Jun and I snuck into an ice skating rink with Jenny last night. We lasted a couple of hours before we noticed the stares. Once those start an avalanche is bound to follow, so we know we don't have long before we need to leave. A getaway was necessary but we enjoyed it while we could.

        Now that we're hungover from a late night of wine drinking after ice skating, neither of us is up for leaving the house.

        Jun snakes his arm around a throw pillow in search of his phone. When he pulls it out a few seconds later, the screen illuminates to life with an email.

        "Did you check out those questions yet?" he asks.

        "Some."

        "What do you think?"

        "Probably shouldn't be too painful."

        The team at the magazine in charge of the profile sent over a preliminary list of questions the interviewer will likely ask so we can get an idea of the direction they're looking to go in. It's hard to judge since interviews tend to ebb and flow with the natural cadence of each participant. But, based on her interviews I can find, there shouldn't be any reason to worry.

        Most of the standard points of interest are there. Where did we meet? What inspired us to start writing music together? Do we foresee doing solo work in the future? And the more Hawaii-centered questions. What was it like growing up in the island state? How different was it getting used to living in Los Angeles? Are we planning another show in Hawaii soon?

        Jun takes a sip of apple juice from the Tokyo Disneyland mug. "Hopefully not. Lauren is already getting cold feet."

        "Why?"

        "Maver. She's afraid they're gonna ask about him."

        "It's not like they keep their relationship a secret."

        "Yeah, but they're not official. And can we blame her for not wanting to talk about Maver Vincent?"

        My gut reaction is to agree because it's true. There are few things I'd rather talk less about than him. Discussing bowel movements sounds more appealing.

        But if our conversation in Australia is still applicable, she wants to be around him. I may not understand it, but I can't just write it off. Whatever feelings she's harboring are strong enough to keep him around, even with all the fights and mixed signals.

        "At some point, you're going to have to say something."

        Jun looks at me. "What are you talking about?"

        "It's not fair she comes to you about Maver when things are unresolved between you two."

        His jaw clenches. "I'm trying to be a good friend. I'm not going to turn her away when she needs someone."