40 | homecoming

Staring up at the big ALOHA STADIUM sign knowing it's about to be lit up just for us is surreal.

        With the sun beginning to set, a cool breeze sweeps over the stadium grounds as we make our way through one of the back areas. On our way over we see cars lined up, making their way into the main parking lot. We are driven in blacked-out SUVs so none of the fans can see us, but the recognition is clear on their face.

        "This is Kikeona," Marty says as we stop by one of the security entrances. "He's the head of security for tonight's show. If there are any problems, bug him."

        Jun salutes the man who somehow makes Marty look small. "Aye aye, captain."

        "Hey, man. They tell us plenty kine not to ask for one autograph but you tink you can sign this for my niece? Just fast kine. Can look like scribbles if you want. She not gon' shut up if I leave here without one."

        Marty sighs.

        "Shoots," Jun laughs, taking the notebook. "No worries."

        "Thanks, ah," Marty directs at him.

        Kikeona flashes him a shaka. "Anything I can do for help, braddah."

        I give Marty a shove. "Give him a break. You can't blame us for being so famous."

        All of us laugh. Marty looks like he's ready to quit on the spot.

        Once our guests have badges, we make our way through the lower part of the stadium where all of the rooms are for us to get ready.

        "You're going to be great," Brendon says, while he massages the knots in my neck and shoulder. He leans down with his mouth to grab a piece of watermelon I hold over my shoulder.

        "What if I fall in front of everyone?"

        "You're not going to."

        "I could."

        "Stevie, respectfully, shut up."

        I look back at him through the reflection in the mirror. Clear as day under these bright fluorescent lights, I'm taken aback by his striking beauty and wondering how I was lucky enough to find myself here with him.

        "Do you think she's here?"

        "I'm not sure."   

        "I won't ask again, I promise."

        He runs his fingers along the base of my neck. "It's okay if you do."

        I rub along his wrist until he takes my hand in his and gives it a reassuring squeeze.

        Someone knocks at the door.

        I catch a glimpse of Jenny leaning away briefly before returning to the doorframe. "Hey, I know you're busy but Nik is here. Wants to talk before he has to get ready to hit the stage."

        "Of course!" I yelp. Scrambling to close my glass container of watermelon, I manage to stand up as he enters the room. "Hey! I'm so glad you're here."

        Nikau Reed laughs before coming in to hug me. His black hair is pulled up into a bun at the top of his head with the sides shaved off; a look I'm not always fond of but he pulls it off well. He also packs a lot of muscle compared to the first time we saw him, but last I heard, he's picked up surfing so he's still lean for the most part.

        After meeting him during the recording for Work, Wife since he was featured on Maverick's song and finding out he's part Māori, we've had our eye on him ever since. Inviting a fellow Poly to be our second opener was a no-brainer. We're happy he was able to make the trip from his hometown of Auckland.