29 | streets of monaco pt. i

After touching down at Nice Côte d'Azur, two cars pick us up and drive us into Monte Carlo. We drift along the southeastern coastline on our way to Monaco, admiring the breathtaking French landscape. Even on our way, it's clear why everyone is flocking to the destination: it's Grand Prix weekend.

        As soon as I step out in front of our hotel, a gust of wind washes over me, bringing along with it the scent of freshly baked bread from a shop nearby. With the sun shimmering down and excitement abuzz in the air, I take a deep breath.

        "I'm being dead serious," Seira says, twirling around in her strappy Tom Ford heels. Her edgy style is a stark contrast to the mellow hues of a Monaco skyline. "I never want to leave. We live here now."

        Jenny steps out behind her, raising one hand above her eyes to block the scorching sun. "I think I might have to agree with you."

        "Someone call Marty to let him know."

        The other three exit their vehicle as hotel employees grab our bags. Jenny takes charge, confirming our reservations. After a brief chat with the manager on duty, he takes us up to our suite, as opulent as one expects from a fancy hotel in Monte Carlo, complete with a breathtaking view of the sea.

         Sunlight floods the suite as Jenny places her tote on the ground and flicks the curtains open. "I could get used to this."

        "You think the people are so rich that they judge us every time they step outside?" I ask.

        "That's the difference between places like Beverly Hills and Monte Carlo." Jenny flicks a lopsided smirk over her shoulder. "When you're this rich, you literally don't care about some random person on the street."

        "So what you're saying is they don't think Jun looks like he stole those shoes out of a dumpster?" Seira sneers at the sizable dirt stain on his white pair of sneakers.

        Jun rolls a pair of suitcases toward one of the bedrooms. "I'm feeling attacked right now."

        "Good. I had to walk through the airport next to those."

        "What's on the agenda for today?" Rami asks when he settles onto the sofa.

        Jenny pulls up our schedule. "We have one small cocktail party this afternoon for some energy drink," she says, squinting at her phone. "Stevie, do you still have that dinner tonight?"

        "Dinner?" Seira's head spins. "What dinner? Why am I not invited?"

        Walking by with her nose in her phone, Lauren answers, "She's having dinner at Idris Johnson's house with the Windsor boys."

        "And I repeat: why am I not invited?"

        Jun rounds the corner sipping on a Capri Sun and slings an arm around her shoulder. "Because it's a special invite-only."

        "Oh, you're right. Special friends like our special Stevie hanging out with her special friend Bren—"

        "If you two don't shut up—"

        After angrily clicking off her phone screen, Lauren brushes her hair away from her face in frustration. Even while traveling, Maver finds a way to get on her nerves.

        "Can we go find ice cream or something?" Lauren asks. Her question isn't directed at anyone in particular, but she avoids eye contact with Jun. "I need something sweet. A lot of chocolate and sin."

        After catching a glimpse of that incredible view outside our hotel, I'll take any excuse to see it again. "Sounds like I'm your girl."

        "Great." She grabs her purse. "Let's go."