Chapter 2

Marivita's POV

My wound burns and blood is leaking out of the white bandage, staining my nice skirt. I hid my arm from ma, (luckily she's on the other side of me). Our flight is landing in only around 20 minutes so I can rush to the bathroom when we land and clean the stain properly. I'm kind of getting excited, to see my abuelo of course. Everything else sounds boring.

 This is where ma raised Carlos, I know that's gonna be hard for ma tho, she still can't say his name. 

I miss him too

Our flight had landed and we are being driven in an old van which I swear is gonna fall apart if this guy keeps speeding up. Ma is laughing at a story he's telling and while she is distracted I take off my bandage to give the wound a bit more air.

My hand now has a pattern that had been engraved around the M during the plane trip. How is this happening? I quickly wrap the bandage back on. 

"We're almost there." The man calls out from the driver's seat. He parks the van and I jump up, scrabbling to regain my balance and I fall out of the van.

This place is breath taking. The colours, the light, the decorations, the markets. It's so beautiful.

I turn around to see ma walking with her bags up a stone path towards a house that pears out onto the main street. I grab my stuff and jog up to her. She checks a piece of paper in her hand and knocks on the door.

A short dark skin man, with the brightest smile, answered the door.

He reached out and grabbed ma in a big hug almost lifting her off the ground. "Mi hija (my daughter), how I've missed you." He says with glee, "this must be young Marivita, I've heard lots about you." he says with a charming wink.

"Papa, I told you she prefers to be called Mari."

"It's lovely to meet ya." I say I must have such an accent to these people.

"It's all my pleasure, just wish you could have visited sooner with everything going on." He starts leading the way into his home, "This will be your room, Mars. Was that right?"

"Mari, Mah-Rie." I correct him.

"Right, Right. My apologies senorita." He walks away with may chatting about who knows what.

The room is cozy with a bed in the corner of the room and a window right in the middle. I put my bags on top of the old chestnut dresser. There's a mirror above the dresser and I look at my features.

I wish I didn't look so different to all my friends back in Australia, with my bronzed skin and dark curly hair which comes from my ma and my dad's dark blue eyes and freckles dotting my face. 

I change my bloodstain skirt to a pretty bottle green one with the prettiest pattern. The outfit strangely matches with the white crop top. 

I walk out of my room and into the kitchen. Ma and abuelo are chatting away.

"Uh, can I go look around town, por favor?" I ask

"Of course you can, just be back by sun down.' Ma says

"Love you, byeee" I hurry out the door. It's about midday so i have a sold 5 hours. Pffft... I'm not gonna be that long.

I look around and I can see where we drove in from, there's this huge crack that is a mountain that must have split. Weird-  Hah, on one of the building walls there's a painting of a family tree with Los Madrigals written above. that must be the 'magic' family my dad was talking about. This whole community must support a lie.