Chapter 14

Marivita's POV

"What happened to you?" They say taking a step towards me.
I stumble back and trip into the lake holding up my arms, "go away, please."
Now the dress is wet as well.
Instead of them doing the one thing I asked they help me up out of the water
"Who did this to you Evita?"
My eyes fill up with tears again but not out of pain.
They grab me in a warm hug and I cry on there shoulder.
"It's going to be ok." They say rubbing their hand on my back.
I talk into their shoulder, "he hit me.  He hit me Camilo."
He pulls me away from his shoulder and looks me dead in the eyes.
"Who hit you Evita?" His words stabs deep like a knife.
My lip quivers, "m-my dad." I stutter
His face changes from worry to fury raging in his eyes but his voice comes out calm, "let me take you to tía Julieta."
I nod, he puts his hand on my lower back and walks me to the casita. His hand is shaking slightly.
We walk threw the kitchen. Julieta and Delores are both in there, Julieta looks at me wide eyed. Delores doesn't seem surprised.
"What happened!?" She gasps. She looks over at Camilo in disbelief. Does she really think he'd do this?
"No it wasn't him!" I say quickly. I can taste blood in my mouth.
"Here." She hands me buñuelos.
I take a small bite. I feel my nose fix itself into the correct position again. Dried blood is still all over me.
"Camilo go help Mari find something else to wear and clean up." Julieta says, I feel my face go red with embarrassment, I must look like a mess.
Camilo sympathetically smiles at me. He walks me to the bathroom and runs the tap so it can warm up. He grabs a clean cloth and runs it under the tap.
Generally he presses it to my face, his tongue sticks out as he focuses. I can't help but giggle but my laugh turns into tears again.

"It's going to be ok." He says in a soft voice. "Let me get you something to wear. Mirabel is still asleep, I'll have to get you one of my shirts."
I nod my head and he leaves the room. I glance at the mirror but look away instantly,
I'm not an embarrassment... am I?

Camilo walks back in holding 4 different shirts, all looking to big for me.
"So I didn't know what shirt you would want to wear and I know you're just going to get changed later anyways but I just didn't want to get th-" he's says way to fast for me.
"Camilo it's fine. I didn't know you wear orange." I say looking at the orange button up.
"No I don't not." He says in defence, "mama sewed this one for me."
I grab the orange shirt out from his arms. I hold it against myself and it almost goes down to my thighs, not quiet.
"You got shorts I can wear?" I ask.
"I have some that will be pretty big." He says.
"Get me those." I say.

He rushes out the room again, and come back holding shorts the look like they'd fit me fine. I grab them out of his hands.
"These are girls shorts." I frown, "something you're not telling me?"
"No! They were Delores old shorts she never wore and mama thought I might like them. Don't know why." He mumbles the last part.
"Out." I say pushing him out the door so I can get changed.

The shirt is to big but not enormous and the shorts fit almost perfectly little baggy. I take my hair out to redo it but the hair tie snaps so I have to leave it down.
I walk out of the bathroom, Camilo is leaning against the wall playing with his thumbs. He looks up at me and yawns. I frown at him.

"What? It's to early for me to be awake." He says
"It's 7 o'clock." I protest.
"I normally go back to sleep after watching the sunrise." He says, "but you were there. So now you've interrupted my beauty sleep."
"Then go back to sleep princesa."
"Yeah but then you'll be alone" he groans.

I role my eyes and walk to his room with him following. I sit on the corner of his bed while he jumps on it face first the roles onto his back to look at me.
"You wanna talk about what happened?"  My expression tells him the answer, "ok... um, what do you want to do?"
"Braid your hair." I say with a smile.
"No way." He says backing away from me slightly.
"Yeh I am." I say excitedly.
"Absolutely not, Delores did that one time and it was the most pain I've ever experienced". He says rubbing his curls, "I don't want to ruin my hair again."
"Oh, don't be dramatic I've done this stuff before. I'll do anything in return." I plead and he lets out a sigh.
"Anything?" He smirks.
"Head out of the gutter!" I say shocked.
"Im only joking." He laughs. "Unless..."
"Shut up." I say kicking his leg. "Come here, I'm braiding it one way or another."
"You come to me, I'm comfy." He says crossing his arms.

I scoot across the bed and sit down cross legged on his pillow.
"Bring your head up a bit so it's in my lap." I say and he does so obediently.
I part his hair and grab three chunks of his curls. Carefully I loop the around each other and grab another piece to add on.

I finish the first side when I hear Camilo snore quietly.
Wish I could fall asleep that easily.
He looks so peaceful. 
I don't have a hair tie so I just leave the bottom of it in a platt and move to the other side.
I finish the second side but now I don't know what to do. My legs are numb from Camilo laying on them but I don't want to wake him up.
I  look at his clock, it's still only 6:30.

I rub my eyes and lean my chin on the top of his head, surprisingly I'm comfortable. I feel safe around him.
Forgetting about the night before, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.