Chapter 5

The lake looks beautiful the way that the lights from the casita give the place a glow. I sit down on a patch of grass and Camilo lies down next to me gazing up at the stars. Camilo reaches his hand up and starts twirling a piece of my hair in his fingers.

"You good there mate?" I ask
"Yeah... nina bonita (pretty girl)" he sighs.
"You're such a flirt." I whisper
"I know." He says boldly
"Are you hot?"
"I consider myself to-"
He's so stupid, "No as in heat-temperature hot."
"Oh, kinda I guess. Why?"
I look over to the lake. "I wanna go swimming."
He laughs, "In what.. your underwear?"
"That's exactly what I'm gonna do, you gonna join me?"
"What!? No I'm not getting my clothes all wet, or letting you see me almost naked."

"Suit yourself." I unbuckle my shoes and stand up. In one swish motion, I take my shirt off and drop it next to Camilo who is staring at a spot on the ground avoiding to look up. I unbutton the top of my skirt and let it fall to the ground. I walk down to the lake and jump in. "It's really nice!" I yell even tho I think it could be -30 degrees.

"Yeh... must be." he calls back.

"You're a wimp, it's too dark for me to even see you." I hear nothing in return so I just continue swimming.

I hear a splash next to me, "IT FREEZING!" Camilo yells, "YOU SAID IT WAS NICE!"

"Columbian boys are weak, deal with it." I splash water at him and he starts swimming towards me, "No don't splash me-" my mouth is filled with water, "Gross Cammy."

"Our juices are in this water."

"Shut the fuck up. No, I don't need to hear that bullshit." I laugh

"I'm sure you'd wanna hear that from your boyfriend tho"

"My what?" Camilo shapeshifts into Diego and pretends to reach out for a kiss, wrapping his arms around me. "Really Camilo? Real mature." I say pushing his face lightly to the side and he shapeshifts back into himself.

My feet are touching the bottom of the lake which is all sand and the water is just below my chest, Camilo is almost a head taller and has to look down at me. His facial features look defined in the dim light coming from the casita. I reach up to wipe a drop of water about to fall from his chin. His arms are still wrapped around my waist and they feel strong and warm, as my arms are pressed against his chest.

What am I doing?

"Hey hermosa?" his voice is quiet, "Your quivering, we really should go back inside."

I didn't want this moment to end but I nod in agreeance walked out of the water. I try to dry myself off but there's almost no point bothering. I put my orange shirt back on and the skirt but I'm still cold. I notice my top has nearly gone see-through so I try crossing my hands over my chest which doesn't help.

Camilo chuckles and puts his ruana on me, "We don't want everyone seeing your boobs"

"Mhmm, seems mlte like a you problem seeing you'd probably be starring."

"Ha-ha very funny hermosa." He says doing his buttons up all wrong.
"Come here, let me fix that." I say pointing to his shirt. He obeys me and steps closer so I can reach. There isn't enough light so I pull him forward a step by his pants waist. My hands are stiff from the coldness but I manage to fix it up and we walk back up together to the casita.

I walk off to go find Mirabel who is in her rooM with just Daniela.
"Where's Natarlia?" I ask
"I thought she was with you." Mirabel says
"No, Mari went off with the hot guy in the yellow."
"Daniela!" Mirabel's jaw drops, "That's my cousin."
"Duh that's why I said it." Daniela looks me up and down, "why are you wearing Camilo ruana and how come your all wet."
"I um-I just- he said I could borrow it for a little while." Daniela still is looking at me suspiciously.
"He never lets people wear that thing." Mirabel gasps, "did you to make out somewhere!"
"No obviously not, why is her hair wet then?" Daniela says rolling her eyes, "clearly they had a little fun in the shower together."
"WHAT! NO WE DIDNT!" Daniela has some problems, "I don't even like Camilo."
"I heard you were dancing with him and had your face in his chest." Daniela says with a smug grin.
"No, he was embarrassing me and I didn't know what else to do." This isn't convincing her one bit.
"He's my cousin Daniela, I'm pretty sure no girl on the planet would like him." Mirabel says
"I do." I hear someone from behind me say.
I nearly hit them, I turn to see Natarlia, wish I did. "I think he's really cute."
"Where'd you come from dog?" I ask
"Dog? I'm not a dog." She pauses for a second, "Are you calling me a bitch!?"
I laugh, "no, no, it's Aussie slang. We call peps that all the time."
She walk to the spare bed and frowns, "Isn't that Camilos?" She says pointing at the ruana, "he never lets me wear it."
"Maybe cause you don't talk to him." I mumble under my breathe so she doesn't hear.
I go sit next to Daniela on Mirabel's bed.

Before we know it, it's almost 12:00am and people are starting to leave. I walk off to find abuelo or ma but have no luck as I end up in the kitchen with Julieta.
She doesn't turn around straight away "Hi Camil- oh wait your not Camilo."
"Last I checked I wasn't." I sit down on one of the chairs next to the bench. "Camilo leant this to me."
"Oh ok, you're Mari? Yes I remember you." She says with a smile, "dearie what did you do to your hand, here let me get you something."
Shit, I can't let her see the marks. "No I'm all good gracias."
"No really I-" she's interrupted by the sound of thunder.
"Julieta!" Someone wails, "I can't find Antonio anywhere."
"I'm sure he's fine Pepa." She says trying to calm her down.
Pepas eyes meet mine "Why does that girl have Camilos ruana on?"
"Pepa, thats Mari," she seems to recognise my name. "The girl who punched Camilo."
"Oh yeah... why'd you punch him. There's a bet going around."
"A bet!?" I say
"Sì, and i  want to win it."
"Pepa! You don't put bets in about children." Julieta pipes in.
"They aren't even kids, they're 15 for goodness sake!" Pepa accuses. 
I leave the room still hearing Pepa and Julieta arguing.
I keep looking for abuelo and ma till I see them standing next to a shining door.
"What's that?" I ask point to there one door that doesn't have a pattern, "what's up with that one?"
"Well normally it means a new Madrigal child has come of age to get a gift but none of them have any children left." Abuelo explains.
"Weird... maybe there's a kid in their basement."
"There's isn't any kids down there I promise." Camilo says from behind us.
"Do you want this back." I say taking off his ruana, struggling in the process. "Gracias Herm- Evita. I'm Camilo." He's says holding out a hand that ma takes and he kisses it.
"Mucho gusto, mi llamo Valentina (nice to meet my, my name is ValentinA)." She smile, "We must be going, have a lovely evening." We walk down the stairs and out of his ear shot ma whispers in Latin, "quod videtur vere dulce (he is really sweet). Why did you have his clothes on?"
"Ma! He's not dulce (sweet) and I'm tired let's just go home."
"Sì mi amor." She says and we walk home.