Chapter 11

Marivita's POV

MY HAND IS FADING AWAY!

I hear people scream and Antonio start crying. Someone grabs my shoulder.

"Focus Marivita." Abuela Alma says calmly.

"MY ARM IS EVAPORATING!" I yell, "WHAT AM I MEANT TO FOCUS ON!"

"This is your gift. you just need to focus. Look at your door." she says.
I take a deep breath in and focus on my arm which feels numb. There is chunks of skin floating around it. Suddenly something just feels right and my arm becomes whole again, it glows between the crack and seals over.

"What was that!?" I gasp.

"That was your new gift." Abuela Alma says, she's un startled. "You now need to learn to control it. Go on and open your door."
The door now has an engraving of me with my arm out, an atom is on it and there are objects floating around behind me. I turn the door knob and push open the door.
I stumble back, it's Carlos' room.
"What do you think?" Abuela Alma says. "We need a celebration!"
I'm speechless. I haven't gone in his room since he died, no one could.
"Is everything alright?" Abuela Alma frowns.
"Uh... yeh, I might go in it later. A celebration sounds good." I shut the door and walk back down the stairs, passing everyone who was standing at the bottom.
I don't know where I'm going but I follow my feet. I end up at the lake, someone is sitting down already.
Yellow ruana.
I sit down distancing myself from Camilo. I really should apologise, I shouldn't have said what I did.
We sit in silence for a bit until Camilo speaks up.
"What's your gift?" He doesn't look up from the ground.
"It's some weird atom thingy." I answer
"Atom manipulation." He says
"I guess so, I can make my arm crumble apart then go back together in seconds." I say
"Cool." He says bluntly
"Look Camilo I'm really sorry." I apologise
"For what?" He says in a low voice.
"For everything I said. I shouldn't have said it, wasn't thinking about anyone but myself and I took my anger out on you." I say
"Mhmm."
"That's real mature Camilo, Im trying here!"
I say
"We're not friends remember? So what's the point of saying sorry?"
"I- We are friends Camilo, I don't know why I said that."
"Everything is said for a reason."
I dig my nails into the ground, "Well I didn't! We are friends Camilo! All I want to do is spend time with you!" I'm almost yelling
"So do I and it hurts and I don't even know why! All I think about is you ever since I meet you and I hate it all because I know you don't care at all about me!" He yells
"I do care Camilo!"
"No you don't, you don't care at all! No one cares about me." He lowers his voice and bring his knees to his head, "I don't even know myself."
I get up and sit next to him. I put an arm around him. I'm not sure if this is helping much but I'm trying.
"You're Camilo the beloved." I say dumb stuff when I'm not sure what else to say.
He laughs and turns his head to the side so he's looking at me.
"You don't know ether." He sighs, "I can be anyone in the world besides myself."
"At least your gift is useful. When am I ever gonna need this?" I say making my arm disintegrate then come back together.
"You could kill someone with that power." He says
"Pardon?" I say, "I never want to kill anyone."
"Just saying. Can you make other stuff do whatever you just did?"
"Probably." I say, I look over at a random leaf.
I make it disintegrate then come back together in my hand.
"It's like teleportation." Camilo says amazed.
"Except the fact that I can keep it disintegrated." I let the leaf turn into a sand like substance in my hand and drop it on the ground.
"Can you fix it again?"
"Not if I can't see all the pieces." I say, "this is really weird, I don't want a power. I don't get how I just already know how to control it."
"It's natural, you were made for the gift." He pauses, "technically you weren't made for it but take what you can get."
I stare at a piece of grass, I make it fall apart and come back together.
"My room was Carlos' old room." I say
"What does that mean?" He says
"He died in his room. It's where I found his body." I suck in a deep breath, "he committed suicide in there. Now apparently it's my room but I never wanted to go back to that room."

Camilo looks at me sadly, "Carlos is the boy from the photos?"
"Yeah."
"You don't have to go into his room."
"I know but I've gotta do it at some point. It's not as though I'm gonna live here anyways. I'm gonna have to go back to Australia in a couple of months anyways." I say
"You're going to leave?" He says
"Yeah, I was never going to stay forever."
He stands up abs starts walking away.
"Where are you going?" I calm out while fumbling to my feet.
"Back to the casita. We're going to check out the room... or not if you're not ok with it."
"Nah it's fine, it was done for a reason."
We walk into the casita and decorations are already put up.
"What's all this for?" Camilo asks
"Mari is getting a party for her new gift." Delores says as she passes by us.
I see Mirabel decorating a doorway and I walk over to her. She smiles at me a gestures for me to help.
I decide to try out my gift. I transfer the streamers from the box to appear across the door. It's all wonky but it was worth a shot.

Camilo's POV
I watch as Mirabel and Evita put up streamers while giggling and joking around. I feel a hard elbow on my side and turn to see Delores smirking at me.
"Ow! what was that for?" I exclaim
"You're totally into her, it's obvious"
"Wha- I am not"
"You're turning red"
"You don't know anything about that stuff," I pause. "Says the one marring her cousin's ex".
Delores holds up her hand to show off her ring making a smug face.
I shapeshift into Mariano, "give me a kiss mi vida."
"Shut up." She says shoving me away. "At least he's nice unlike you."
I press my hand to my chest, "how rude. That really hurt."
"Hey how is it that Mari's brother killed himself." She says.
"Delores!" I hiss, "it's not something to talk about and stop listening to my conversation."
"Can't help it." She shrugs, "I also heard people planning to invade our encanto and try take the gifts for themselves."
"Like that would ever happen." I laugh and walk off.
I see Antonio playing with Uncle Bruno's rats.
"Hey Antonio." I say
"Hi." He says quickly averting his eyes back to the rats.
"Can I join?" I'm not sure what he's doing but I like talking to him.
"Sure," he says excitedly shuffling over a bit for me to sit down.
I sit down next to him and I watch what he does.
He's dress the rats up in dolls outfits.
Same dolls outfits me and Mirabel played with when we were kids.
The memory makes me smile.