Chapter 4

3 days later

Marivita's POV

I've spent the last day and a half both unpacking and helping Abuelo fix up his yard. It's been pretty boring and I'm trying to straighten a painting when there's a knock at the door.

I open it to see a girl with green glasses and curly hair with a big smile on her face.

"Hi I'm Mirabel Madrigal," she says shaking my hand, "Mi parents and mi abuela are returning to town and a welcome back party is being thrown in our casita tomorrow. You know the place right?"

"Uh... yeah I do," I say. Did Camilo say he had two or one sisters?

"Great, well I'm going around inviting people to come and join the celebration. having said that I have never seen you... did you come to Antonios gift ceremony?" 

"No, I just got here from Australia. I'm staying here for a little while with my ma. I'll see if I can come." I say and she nods, as she walks away I jog to catch up to her. "I'm gonna come with you, there are a lot of houses and I think I should be making friends."

"How nice, what's your name?"

"Mari, well Marivita but I like Mari."

"That's such a cute nickname. Wait are you the one that gave Camilo the black eye?" she chuckles

"Well he deserved it, I got concussed so I think a little black eye is nothing, plus some food healed us. Hey, can I come with you to invite everyone, I kinda need to make some friends."

"Yeah of course." 

We talk about random things and two other girls joined us, Daniela who is the prettiest person I've ever met and Natalia who is pretty self-centred and obnoxious in my opinion, Mirabel likes her tho. It gets dark so we all say goodbye.

I get home and chuck my clothes off and crawl into bed and fall asleep instantly.

5:30pm

"Hey darling, you need to start getting ready." I hear ma call out from the kitchen.

"Mama I don't want to go," I yell back.

"Vamos mi amor, vamos en familia (Come on, we're are going as a family). I don't want that attitude tonight."

"Si mama." I get up and search threw my outfits.

I grab a pretty orange crop top with frilly transparent sleeves and a black skirt with small flames. I chuck my hair up in a bun (barely) and put a little bit of makeup on. I like how I look, though my blue eyes stand out a lot more than what I want because of the orange. I wonder if Daniela and Natarlia would be there, obviously they would be they said they would.

"Mari!" Ma yells, "Come on we don't want to be late."

I run into the kitchen, ma is standing at the front door wearing the prettiest dress. I see disappointment sweep her face as she looks at my outfit. "You look beautiful ma." 

"Yeah, I wish you put a bit more effort in." 

"Lo siento," I look at a spot in the ground as I follow her out the door, abuelo following behind me.

"You look pretty mi vida, you remind me of Carlos." Abuelo whispers as he hurries to walk next to ma.

We approach the house and I see someone greeting everyone at the door, changing into them! Must be Camilo. At the entrance, Camilo shapeshifts into ma and she chuckles and walks past with abuelo trailing behind him. I try to hurry past him but he calls out my name.