Chapter 3

Camilo's POV

I don't want to freak Evita out, but these carvings in her hand are not good. I rub my thumb over them, the cuts are deep.  I look up and see her pretty face biting down on her bottom lip, she seems terrified. I try to comfort her "hey, it's ok. It's nothing. Just maybe keep it hidden till we know what it is." She nods in agreeance, but her lip is still quivering "You wanna get something to eat?"

I have no idea how to help her but food always helps me so maybe that will work.

"Yeah, all right." I'm so glad she agrees to come with me something about her is special. I carefully wrap a new bandage around her hand and we walk down to my favourite food truck.

"Ay Camilo, so good to see you." Anthony says cheerfully, "the usual?"

"Si," I say and look to Evita. "What would you like?"

"I don't have any Colombian currency," she says shyly.

"No, I'm happy to pay for you," I say

"No, no it's ok. I just won't eat."

"Tell me what you want, you can pay me back later." I chuckle

Evita orders her food which isn't much, I can tell she didn't want to order anything expensive because I'm paying. We get our food I say goodbye to Anthony and we walk away together. 

I realise I walk too fast for her and slow down to her speed.

"Where are we going?" She says breaking the silence between us, "Also how do you have the wizard powers, is your family like fucking Harry Potter? I've seen it in the paper but I thought it was bullshit... no offence of course."

"I'm taking you to a quiet place. And it's not 'wizard powers' that sounds ridiculous, my Abuela was given a miracle when Abuelo died which blessed our family for whoever born in my familia is given a gift" We stop walking when we finally reach a lake, "We're here."

"Nah really?" she says sarcastically, sitting down on the grass. I'm about to sit down when she yanks my arm so I fall next to her. She laughs as I awkwardly struggle to sit upright.

"So, where are you from Evita?"

"Well Cammy, I've lived in Australia since I was 6." she takes a bite of her arepa and continues to speak, her mouth still full. "My brother grew up here, he loved this place. I used to listen to his stories about it."

The corner of her eye twitched randomly as she said that. Her eyes are a light blue, I've never seen such pretty eyes on anyone.  "Where did you live before you were 6?"

"Here, in this town. With my Abuelo and ma. She wanted to raise me and my brother here but moved back because she realised she still loves my dad." She hesitates, "My brother started to become a problem and we needed help as well... didn't help tho." she says with a hushed voice.

"Wait, what didn't help?" I question.

"Nothing, I don't wanna talk about it," she says, her voice slightly cracking.

Marivita's POV

Camilo changes the subject and we sit and talk about random stuff until I realise the sun is almost down.

Shit

I quickly stand up, Camilo looks up at me frowning, "Where are you going hermosa (beautiful)?"

HERMOSA!

"Wh-what did you call me?"

"I asked my question first," he says with a grin.

"Uh-" I'm lost for words all of a sudden, "To my abuelo's house," shit am I blushing? "He wanted me back by dusk." It's getting dark, he might not see.

"I'll walk you home then," Camilo says jumping to his feet. He holds out his arm for me to grab which I push away. "Aw come on hermosa, let me be a gentleman."

"As if," I scoff. "Cammy, you are dubbed the grossest person I've ever met. And I met you less than an hour and a half ago."

"That's mean, I can be very gentlemanlike when I want to be hermosa," he says with a wink holding out his arm again, "I wouldn't want a girl like you getting lost, would I?"

"Shut up," I say but he nudges me with his arm while raising his eyebrows up and down. "You're really annoying I hope you know that." I take his arm and he suddenly shapeshifts into a tall formal looking man. "Really Cammy?"

he's right Cammy is gross.

"Actually this is Sir Andersons. A very proper gentleman," he says putting on an accent that sounds like nobody in the entire whole world.

I start walking swiftly, dragging Camilo along with me. Camilo turns back into himself but still keeps his arm up for me to hold until giving up halfway there. We chat on the way home and by the time I'm there I realise it's dark.

"Well, I guess this goodbye for now," I say as we reach the door.

"You'll see me around hermosa." He replies, "I'm hard to get rid of."

"Goodnight Cammy."

"Goodnight Evita."

I walk inside and see abuelo and ma sitting on the table with a cup of tea each. Abuelo's eyebrows are raised and ma is grinning.

"Que (what)?" I say

"Was that Camilo Madrigal?" Abuelo asks.

"Si, es eso un problema (Yes, is that a problem)?" I'm confused about what they're on about.

"Oh nothing querida (darling), abuelo and I just have a small gamble going on. Off to bed." Ma says scooting me out of the room.

Pepa's POV

"Pepa you need to calm down, Julieta is with the kids. It's all going to be fine mi vida." Felix is trying to get me to stop thundering, it's not helping.

"I need fresh air- alone." I walk out of the house we're staying in, the media provide this for us because they wish to film our power in action.

"Hey um Pepa, can we talk?" I turn to see Bruno looking worried, "I-ah... I had a vision. When all our gifts went a bit-" He starts making weird turning noises. "Anyways, I had a vision. You know the new door Julieta told us was in casita, I don't think it's meant for a Madrigal. Look I know it sounds weird but in my vision, a girl was opening the door and her gift was- different. Like it looked bad type of different. It-it was horrible Pepa, and I-I-I don't know if I should tell ma because I don't think it'll be the right thing to do." 

My cloud clears up and I hug Bruno. "You do what you think is right, but between you and me telling ma isn't a good idea. Plus ma is having a party when we get back from our return to let all the townspeople know that we're back."

"Yes, yup, ok sounds goods." Bruno says with his thumbs-up, "What if Delores heard?"

"We just hope she didn't and if she did let's hope she doesn't tell anyone."