Chapter 9

Marivita's POV

I  try to refuse going but Luisa grabs me and throws me over her shoulder.
Mirabel and Daniela trail behind me, Daniela keeps making faces at me as I scoff.
I believe Fernando went home or something.
Luisa puts me down in the casita but keeps a hand on my shoulder so I can run away.
Abuela Alma is talking to a woman in an orange dress, the person I saw with a cloud over her head.
"Abuela?" Mirabel says, "we have something to tell you."
I feel like I'm guilty for something.
"She fixed Mirabel's glasses." Luisa said.
"Yes we'll you can do that with a piece of tape." Abuela Alma says.
"No like it's almost as tho she has a gift." Mirabel says. "It glowed and just repaired itself in her hand."
She looks at me and I smile and wave awkwardly. Camilo was right, he's not gonna let that go.
"Bring her up to door." Abuela Alma turns and walks up the stairs.
I turn to Luisa, "you know it's really not neces-"
She scopes me up anyways and carries me all the way up the stair.
"I need to get the candle. Wait here." Abuela alma says.
"You wanna put me down?" I say to Luisa. She gently lowers me to the ground. I turn to Mirabel "Why wouldn't this door be yours?"
"We've already tried that." She sighs, "it's quiet clear it's not for me."
"Well I don't want a gift. Can't Mirabel just have it?"
"That's not how this works." Luisa says.
Abuela Alma comes back holding the candle.
"I want you to hold your hand above the doorknob but not touch it." She says.
I do as I'm told and the doorknob glows beneath my fingertips as it did last time.
"The candle!" Mirabel gasps as the flame burns brighter the closer my hand gets to the knob.
"Hah, thats pretty cool." I say, not caring much.
"This shouldn't be happening." Abuela Alma says.
"Open your eyes sunshine. It clearly is." I say.
"Mari!" Mirabel snaps, "that's so rude."
"Lo siento." I say rolling my eyes. Daniela smirks at me, she's never liked abuela Alma since I've met her. "Do I just open the door ahora (now)?"
"We should give her a gift ceremony." Mirabel says.
"Not if it doesn't work." I say, " the door could blow up. Tho that would be sick."
"That would not be 'sick'." Abuela Alma says, "and if you would like a ceremony we will give you one."
"No gracias." I say, "I'd like to just get it done."
"Tonight it shall be." Daniela says in a dominate voice.
"Tonight?" I ask
"It'd be appropriate to do it soon." Abuela Alma says.
"Sounds dumb. Maybe I just don't." I say
"Come on, look at the cuts in your hand for not doing it. " Mirabel says. "Let's go to my room."
I walk off with Mirabel and Daniela, we go into Mirabel's room. I sit on her spare bed and bring my knees up.
I don't want some dumb gift. What if my parents find out I have one? What would that do? I'm gonna have to go back to Australia soon anyways. What would all my friend back home think?
"I-I don't want to do this." I say starting to freak out.
"It's ok." Mirabel says patting me on the back.
"You know might just get bad luck and it just not work like Mirabel. That would be embarrassing. " Daniela says casually, balancing a pencil on her nose.
"At least I get the front door." Mirabel says. "I like it."
"Yeah yeah." Daniela replies.
"Im going to the ah...bathroom." I say abruptly, standing up and leaving the room.
I walk out the room and Camilo is standing across me. I walk past him and head to the front door.
"Leaving already hermosa?" Camilo says
"Wha- I would never." I exclaim
"Yeh you would." Camilo grins
"I'll come back later." I say turning around.
"Who says you have to? Come on let's get out of here." Camilo says
"Really?" I say walking with him out of the casita. "Where are we going?"
"The lake." He says,
"You gonna drown me?" I joke.
"Nah, Im gonna chop you up into little pieces." He laughs
We arrive at the lake and I sit with my legs out on the grass and admire the stars. Camilo lays across my legs and I play with one of his curls.
"Delores is gonna hear us." Camilo says
I don't respond, it's peaceful.
I wish Camilo got along with Mirabel but, their relationship fell apart when Mirabel didn't get her gift apparently. They just avoid each other now.
"I'm going home." I say hinting to Camilo to get up but he doesn't, "You gotta get up."
"Please stay hermosa."
"Get off." I say more sternly, "I'm tired and I don't want to deal with your shit."
"Your house is the first place Mirabel will check when they realise your gone if they haven't already."
"Get off me now." I repeat
He roles of and I stand up and start walking away swiftly.
"Let me walk you home hermosa." He's getting on my nerves.
"We're not friends Camilo!" I snap. "You don't even know me so stop acting as tho you do. And the who hermosa shit needs to stop."
He looks at me blankly, "ok..."
He turns and sits back down at the lake.
Why do I do this to people?
I should go apologise but I don't. I walk home, dad's sitting on the couch with a beer, somehow he got afl up.
"Can I watch?" I ask. He groans but gestures me over. "How was your day?"
"Pretty shitty, your ma made me help clean. This place is a shit show."
"What place? The house?"
"No Columbia, maybe if your brother was raised tough enough in Australia he wouldn't have ended up so weak."
"Ma did a good job!" I protest.
"Not good enough..." he sighs.
"Do you even care he's gone?"
"Kinda." He hesitates, "but it was his choice. I lost respect for him."
"Why does everyone I love have to leave?" My voice breaks.
Dad just shrugs his shoulder and looks back at the tv.
"Pull your shit together boys!" He shouts at the footy.
"Night," I say as I leave the room I turn around, "if people ask where I am, can you say I'm not home?"
He holds a thumbs up and I walk to my room. My hands are shaking, it always happens when I remember about the night with Carlos. It's still a blur to me, a lot of crying and confusion and blame, mainly on me.
I hate seeing photos of him and people asking questions.
I grab my suitcase and take out the old journal in it. I only have 8 pages left to read but i know it'll be the worst to read.
Carlos is engraved on the front of the book.
He had left it for me to read and slowly I'm getting threw it all... after 5 years.
I flick to the page I have to read next,
Date-30-9-1968