Chapter 15

Isabela's POV
6:45am
I'm lightly sleeping when someone starts shaking me. I shut my my eyes tighter, trying to ignore them.

"Stop." I say rolling over.
"Wake up." Its Delores voice, i role back over and look at her. "I want to show you something."
She looks really excited for some reason. I don't answer I just get out of bed and chuck my slippers on following her out the door.
She stops in-front of Camilo's room.
"He's asleep, we can't wake him." I say to her but she proceeds to open the door a fraction.

She looks threw, a smile is beaming across her face as tho she's a little kid. She steps away from the door and gestures for me to look.
Mari is leaning against the bed head, fast asleep, while Camilo is leaning on her. His hair is neatly braided and he's drooling a bit on his ruana.
"Are they a thing." I whisper to Delores.
"Not yet." She says, "my bet says Mari asks him out first."
"No way," I say "Camilo will easily do it."
"Nah he'll wimp out otherwise he would have done it already." She has a valid point.
"$10 days Camilo does it first." I say. "At your wedding."
She has a smug grin, "deal."
We shake on it and I go back to bed.

Marivita's POV
10:30am

Camilo wakes up suddenly, taking in deep breaths. I frown at him, he looks startled.
"You right mate?" I ask.
"Fine." He says sitting up right to look at me.
A drop of sweat runs down between his eyebrows.
"You're sure you're all good? You're grossly sweaty." I say concerned but he seems ok now. "I'm going to find Mirabel and tell her about the dress." He nods his head and lays back down. "You're really lazy."
"What?" He says confused.

I walk out of the room and into the kitchen. Julieta has her back turned to me and mirabel is leaning against the counter. Isabela and Delores start whispering when I walk in.

"How'd talking to your dad go?" Mirabel says.
"Are you all ok?" Julieta says noticing my presence, "did Camilo take good care of you?"
Delores and Isabela start giggling.
"Wait what's wrong?" Mirabel says frowning at me.
"I got blood on your dress." I say sorrowfully. "I'm really really sorry, I tired not to. I really did and-"
"Hey it's ok," Julieta says, "we can get her a new one. As long as you're alright."
I nod my head, still feeling guilty about her dress.
"I'm so confused on what's going on." Mirabel says.
"Mari can explain if she wants in a separate room," she takes a breath in, "your madre (mum) stopped by to ask if you were here and wanted to know you're all ok."
"Mhmm," I say.
I'm not happy she 'stopped by' because now she knows I'm here.

I walk out of the room and I hear Mirabel follow behind me.
"What's wrong?" She says catching up to me.
"I can tell you anything right?" I say turning to face her.
"Yeah of course." She says
"My dad broke my nose last night and sent my ma to check on me." I say, "it makes me furious that he didn't even bother to do it himself."
She looks shocked.
"Yeah so when I said I couldn't go talk to him that's why," I say.
She stare at me, she looks as tho she feels guilty.
"I-" she starts to say
"No need. I'm fine, everything is fine." I say walking up the hall now into the main part of the casita, "I just need to grab something from home."
"Can I help?" She says, still feeling guilty.
I put my thumb up as I continue to speed walk.

We make it to my house. I sneak around to my bedroom window. I try opening it but of course it's locked. I smash the window in with my elbow, Mirabel gasps behind me.
"I'll fix it in a sec." I say jumping in threw the window seal.

I grab my brothers notebook and a fresh outfit to change into back at the casita.
A piece of glass stabs into my thigh as I'm trying to climb out and I wince in pain.
Great.
I drop the book on the ground at Mirabel's feet and climb the rest of the way out the window, scraping my hand on the bare wood to top it all off.
I use my gift to fix the glass, it looks as tho it was never smashed.
Mirabel picks up the book with a frown.

"Who's Carlos?" She says.
"My dead brother, it was his journal." I say not wanting to get into detail about it.

"Hm." She says almost the way Delores does.
"What was that?" I say
"Just thought I'd give it a try." She says and we burst into laughter.
"I think you leave that to Delores." I say remembering how she does it often. "When's her wedding anyways?"
"Next week on Tuesday, her and Mariano have only been dating for a couple months. Personally I think it's a bit soon. " She say.
"I'm not invited tho." I say
"You could come if your someone's plus one I guess." She says thinking about it.
"Ok so I just need a date?" I say.
"Yeah..." she says
"Great." I get down on one knee and clear my throat, "Mirabel... love of my life, will you be my date to your cousins wedding?"
She looks at me with her eyes wide, "you're gay!?"
"What?" I laugh, "I'm gay for the 3 hours at Delores wedding so I can go as your plus one."
"Ohhhh." She laughs. "What if Camilo asks you out tho?"
"Camilo?" I frown, "why would he ask me out? I don't even know if we're friends."
"Didn't you sleep in his room last night?" She says. "That's what Delores said to Isabela at least."
"No I feel asleep in there this morning, I slept near the lake last night." I say but she's hearing none of it.
"I think he likes you." She says
"Whatever," I say but my cheeks go red.
"You do like him!" She gasps, "you're blushing! He's my cousin!"
I put my hands up to my face, "no I do not. It's just really hot."
Denial
"Whatever." She says smiling walking faster so I have to catch up.

I notice we aren't heading towards the casita. Mirabel stops at a random house and knocks at the door. Someone opens the door and yanks us both inside before I can do anything and I fall flat on my face.
I hear a familiar laughter.
"Daniela!" I say pushing myself up to my knees, the cut on my thigh split open more and blood leaks down my leg.
Why it it always me bleeding?

"You look good on your knees." Daniela says abs mirabel looks at her is disbelief.
"Shut up." I say getting to my feet. "I worry about you sometimes."
"Just speaking the truth." She says and I realise someone else is in the house with us.
"Tío bruno?" Mirabel says confused.

Bruno?