Chapter 24

Camilo's POV

Evita gazes around the room. I never thought I'd see her this anxious, the way her hands shake is unbelievable. I heard Bruno talking about his vision before I came up here and they're definitely going to attack us, I want Evita to go home but that's not going to happen. She's too brave for that. Nothing will happen to her, I'll make sure of that.

I notice a photo on the bedside table. It's Evita and her brother I believe, she's not young in this photo. Her brother Carlos looks our age, Mari looks about 10.

She looks really happy. Her brother doesn't, he's smiling but not out of joy like Evita's happiness.

"You look cute."  I say, pointing at the photo.
She chuckles and picks up the frame. "I hate this photo."
She smashes it on the ground.

"Why'd you do that?" I stare at the shattered glass.
"He killed himself the night this photo was taken." She sighs. "Pity, I really did love him... oh well. His body was right there."

She points to the middle of the room, I watch as blood seems to leak from the floor staining the carpet. Evita is emotionless.
She chuckles slightly coldly as she stands up.
She offers her hands to lift me up and we walk out of the room. Looking over the balcony I see everyone discussing stuff in hushed voices.
The only people who aren't there are Mirabel and Antonio.

Evita grabs my hand and we walk downstairs to know what's going on.
Evita's madre, Valentina is there looking worried.

"Oh mi hija (my daughter), I'm so glad we found you. Come one we're going home." Valentina says.
"What?" Evita frowns, she holds my hand slightly tighter. "I'm not going."
"Nonsense. Thank you, everyone, for inviting us but we must get going." Valentina says ushering Evita towards her.
"I'm staying." Evita says sternly.
"It'll be safer for you to go." I say, I'd rather her with me but I know it won't be safe.
She looks at me, slightly annoyed.
"I love you ma, but I need to stay." She says.
Her abuelo shakes Valentina's on the shoulder and she almost bursts into tears.
"Ma it's going to be fine." Evita says trying to comfort her.
"We'll keep your daughter safe." Tía Julieta says. "I have three daughters of my own, I know how this may feel."

Valentina shakes her head and walks out with Evita's abuelo. Who is comforting her.
Evita rolls her eyes at me.
"She loves you," I say.
"I would love me too." She smirks, making my stomach feel... sick I guess.

I love when she says stuff like that. The way she knows everyone will judge her for saying it but it doesn't bother her.

I don't think she gets how serious this is. Or maybe she know it's all to well.

A scream comes from just out the casita, Valentina and Evita's abuelo run inside.

"They're here!" Valentina and Dolores yell at the same time.

Countless screaming is heard in the distance from the village. Everyone is frozen to the spot. Evita is the first of us to move.
Shit.
Antonio and Amanda are still here. They're both only 5 and for anything to happen to them so young...
Devastating.

"Weapons might be good." Evita smiles making a dagger appears in her hand.
"YOU CAN'T KILL THEM!" Mirabel shouts in disbelief. I'm sure Evita would if the option was there.
"You want to do it first." Evita says.
She chucks a sword over to Mirabel who avoided the pass. It clatters on the ground and Carlos picks it up, looking at himself in the reflection.
"Not bad sexy." Carlos grins at her.
I know that he makes Evita uncomfortable but it's better if I don't say anything. It'll just make it worse.

A sudden pounding is on the door. Loud, like something is being rammed against it.

"DÉJANOS ENTAR (let us in)!" A man shouts at the door. "PRENDEREMOS FUEGO AL PUEBLO! (We'll set the village alight)!"

Marivita's POV

I roll my eyes.
"Of course, we're going to open the door!" I yell out to the door.
Everyone looks at me horrified.
"We can't just open the door." Abuela Alma says shocked.
"Suit yourself." I shrug.
Someone's going to ark up about how we need to fight. The banging isn't getting any less that's for sure.

I go sit down on a bench and tap my heels on the ground, making a nice tune, while I fiddle my thumbs.
Carlos comes up to me, a smug grin on his face.

"Fuck off." I say, not even looking up at him.
"That's not a ladylike thing to say." He says, I can feel his smirk.

I continue to fiddle with my thumbs, not acknowledging him. I know Camilo is busy, with the whole we might all die thing. So I have to deal with Carlos on my own.

"Do you play with Camilo like that?" He points at my thumbs I've been fiddling with. "Or are you saving that for me?"
He sits down next to me.

"We might all die." He sighs. "One kiss, so I can say I've kissed you." He flirts, sounding like an idiot.
"No!" I say frustrated.
"I bet Camilo means nothing to you. You seemed to get around a bit. Why is he any different? Not like you love him." He teases. "Come on I'm way hotte-"

I think he notices how red my face has gotten.

"I see how it is. I didn't think you would get attached to a boy." He scoffs I don't know why he sounds disappointed.

He doesn't say anything more, he just walks off.

Whoever was banging on the door has finally opened it. About a hundred men all armour burst in. It would have been a sight to see a bunch of people dressed for a wedding, all cluttered together in the centre.

The one closest to us all looks up and spots the candle.

"Ahí, ve a buscarlo (there, go get it)!" he shouts.

Everything happens so quickly, swords swinging, people screaming. I see abuela Alma, run up the stairs, keeping Antonio with her.

I place a sword in everyone's hand.
There, that's my continuation.

I watch as Pepa tries to fight two soldiers at once.
There's stuff I can do, I could kill all of them simultaneously. Make them all disintegrate. The only issue is that makes me a mass murder and I'm not sure the paperwork would be worth it.

"Oye tú (you)!" I soldier says to me, pointing the edge of his sword at me.
"Eso no es educado (that's not very polite)." I say calmly.
"¿Estas loco? ¡Podría matarte fuerte ahora! (Are you crazy? I could kill you right now)" he says, now the tip of his sword is against my neck.
He sounds young. Not young, I'm talking my age young. Poor boy must have been forced into this.
"¿con que? (With what)?" I smirk.
He's face changes to pure horror as the sword he was once holding is now a pink balloon poodle. I hope the sword didn't end up in some 8 year olds hands.

"¿Quieres ser un globo? (Do you want to be a balloon too)?" I say.

He runs away from me in fear. I consider just staying here, it would be easiest. It's not till I realise Camilo is trapped in the middle of three armed men, not boys this time.
They're swords are already stained with blood. A shiver goes through my spin. I don't want to know who's that is.
I'm on my feet now.