Chapter 17

Marivita's POV
10:45pm

Me and Camilo have drunk half the pack already. He's funny drunk, he keeps forgetting what he's says then just smiling to break the silence he made.
I pick up another beer and so does Camilo. I get a great idea.
"Want a chameleon?" I say.
"What?" He says
"Here." I make a random chameleon appear in my hands.
His eyes widen. "Where'd you get this."
I shrug my shoulders, "probably some kids pet. What are you gonna call it?"
"Give it back to them!" He says
"Nah, come on. Name it." I say holding it out to Camilo.
"Ok, Mari." He says.
"I thought that's my name." I say confused.
"Nah your names Evita." He says
"Hmm, I think it's a boy tho." I say looking at the chameleon that's crawling onto the ruana.
"To bad." He says.
"I like you drunk." I giggle leaning on his shoulder.
He's laughs and wraps an arm around my waist.
"You know what?" He says
"What?" I say
"I like you ." He smiles.
"When I'm drunk?" I say with a hiccup watching the chameleon.
"Nah, I like you all the time." He laughs.
"I like you all the time too." I say giggling like a little kid, although what he said doesn't go to my head.

"Camilo what are you doing!?" Someone says from behind us, scaring me almost to death.
"Papa! No, this isn't what it looks like." Camilo tríes to defend himself.
"Nah we're hella drunk." I say calmly.
"MARI!" Camilo scoffs, "You're blowing out cover."
"Up both of you." Felíx says pulling Camilo up by the ear.
I grab the chameleon before it falls and put him on my shoulder.
I stand up keeping my footing and walk with the two of them back to the casita.

Abuela Alma is waiting for us at the door looking furious, suddenly everything doesn't seem as funny anymore.

"I had reports that you stole alcohol by pretending to be somebody else! What we're you thinking!?" Abuela Alma says furiously.
"I-" Camilo gets cut off.
"You were given a gift to help this community! You know how important this family is! You're embarrassing us!" Abuela Alma turns to me, "as for you Mari. You're no longer welcome in the casita or to see any of my grandkids."
"That's not fair!" I say, "I can't just go home."
"Figure it out." Abuela Alma says cruelly, she motion her hand and the casita drags me out of the house slamming the door in my face. The chameleon is still on my shoulder luckily.

I can hear abuela Alma start yelling again at poor Camilo.
This is all my fault.
I walk home, it randomly it starts thundering on my way there. I reach the front door and take a breath in and open it.
I see ma in tears on the kitchen table, not even noticing I stepped inside. I'm not sure where dad it.

"Ma?" I say gently walking over to her and putting a hand on her back.
She looks up at me. Tears in her eyes, mascara running down her checks.
"Mi hija, are you ok?" She says grabbing my face to examine it.
"I'm fine ma-"
She grabs me into a tight hug. "I was so worried. I thought you weren't coming back." She pushes me lightly on the shoulder, "don't ever do that again."
"Ma I would never." I say. "Where's dad?"
"Your dad took a flight home yesterday. He need to get a new arm seeings he's lost his." She says shakily. "Your all bien, tu esta enferma (you aren't sick)?"
"I'm drunk." I say feeling guilty.
"Oh mi vida, you didn't do anything bad?" She says.
"Don't think so." I say trying to remember. "Except we have a chameleon now because I'm not allowed to see Camilo again to give it back to him."
"You'll see him at Delores wedding, you can give him back then." She says calmly. "Go to bed, I'll bring you in a bucket and some agua (water)."

I don't think I'll be allowed to go to the wedding anymore but I don't correct her.
I take the chameleon off my shoulder and put it down on the table, ma will look after it till the morning. I go to my room and change quickly and get into bed.
Ma comes in shortly after and puts a glass of water next to me and a bucket.
"Night mi vida." She says leaving the room.
"Hey ma." I say as she's in the doorway, "if I ever do leave just know, I do love you."
"I love you too." She says shutting the door.

It doesn't take long for me to crash.

2 days later

"Mari wake up." I hear as someone shakes me. I open my eyes slightly and see ma dressed nicely. I groan and role away from her, the last 2 days I've been helping cleaning the house seeing I can't talk to my friends anymore.

"Up now!" She says sternly, "we're going to apologise to the Madrigals."
"They hate me." I say. "Why does it even matter."
"Because your miserable, it's really pathetic and if there's one thing I do know is that you and the ruana kid should be together." She says
"Camilo? I got him in so much trouble he probably hate me now." I say. "H-how do you know I even talk to him."
"I want you look nice." Ma says walking out of the room.

I role out of bed and put a nice yellow dress on. I do my hair in two plates and tie it off with matching ribbons. I put on brown boots and a nice necklace. I put Mari (the chameleon) on my shoulder and walk out.
Ma is waiting for me at the front door. She dumps a basket full of fresh bread roles in my arms to carry there.
We walk to the casita and ma knocks on the door. It takes a minute for someone to come and open the door.

"Evita?" Great, Camilo.