Chapter 8

Camilos POV
"PAPA!" Evita yells
I can feel my face going red.
"What? I was just asking" he says confused.
"We're 15, you're in Columbia now! You can't run your mouth like you always do!" Evita says, "I am so sorry Camilo."
"Camilo? Nice to meet you." He says
My cheeks are still red but I don't think it's very noticeable anymore. "Mucho gusto también señor (nice to meet you too sir). "
He looks at me oddly, "uh no habla-hablo español (no speak Spanish). Do you speak English." He says loudly while exaggerating his pronunciation.
Evita shakes her head, "dad he can speak English, and ma talks in Spanish all the time how can you not have picked some up?"
"I don't know, not like you can speak it ether."
"Jesus Christ dad." She sighs, "I'm going to my room."
She says starting to walk away from their kitchen.
"Is your boyfriend coming?" Her dad calls out
"Yes and no he's not my boyfriend!" She says frustrated
I follow her into a room that is neat and small, if I spreaders my arms out in the middle of the room all I'd have to do is tilt and i could touch the walls.
Mari lays down on her bed and puts her hands to her face. When she pulls them away there is blood on her cheek.
"Is your hand bleeding again?" I ask
"Every fucking morning at 6:00 am then 10:30am then at 3:00pm. It's a fucking cycle." She whines.
I learn against the walk and look at her. She's grabs something off her bedside table. She gets busy doing something with a circuit board, changing some wires around and counting the chips. I understand none of what she's doing. There's a photo book on her bedside table and I pick it up to look at.
The cover has Marivita's memory's and a photo of her as a child. She doesn't seem to care with me touching it so I flick to the first page. It's a photo of her smiling with her two front teeth missing in a school uniform, holding a picture of a butterfly, I laugh and go to the next page. Theres a couple baby photos of her and some are scribbled out with red marker. I go to the last page there's a photo of her and a boy, Evita is crying while the boy is pointing at her while speaking to whoever is holding the camera.
"Who's this?" I ask
"Carlos." She says calmly
"He's your brother?"
"Yeah." She's being short with me
"Why isn't he here?"
"Reasons."
"How old is he?"
"Technically 20."
"Technically?"
"Get out if you're gonna keeps asking questions!" She snaps, her eyes are glistening.
I put the book down and look at her. "I'm so sorry."
She wipes her eyes before any tears spill, "no it's fine. Everything's in the past."
"You sure?" I know that's just gonna piss her off.
"Yeah whatever." Her voice shakes.

Marivita's POV
Why does he keep having to ask questions? Doesn't he get it.
I jump out of bed, "I'm going to find Mirabel or Daniela or someone."
Please don't come with me, "sure... I have stuff to do anyways."
I know he's lying,
We walk past the kitchen and dad calls behind us, "did you finger her?"
I flip him off as we walk out the front door.
"If Mirabel is at home can you tell her I'm looking for her around the markets, por favor (please)?"I plead.
"Anything for you hermosa." I elbow him in the ribs, "ow! Damn niñas bonita (pretty girls) are feisty."
I roll my eyes and walk away from him. I walk around the markets by myself for a bit till I find Daniela and Fernando.
"Sup Ella." I greet her
"I love that name." She smiles, "oh and your outfit looks great."
I'm wearing the same skirt as yesterday but I rolled it to look different and I tucked Camilos shirt in.
"Thanks darls." I say, "do you play footy here?" It's a random question question but I wanna know.
"Footy?" Fernando question
"Like afl, Aussie rules football, it's like an oval ball and you tackle and mark the ball. I think playing marks up would be fun."
"You've lost us." Daniela says.
"Well what else do you want to do?"
"I have a dare." Daniela says with a scary shine in her eyes. "Ok see Mirabel with Luisa."
"Yeah..." I say
"You have to take Mirabel's glasses and run away with them from Luisa when she chases you." She giggles
"Seems easy to me." I say
"I'd take off those shoes first."
"Bet," I says while unstrapping my sandals.
Fernando whispers something to Daniela but she shrugs it off.
"Hola Mar-" I snatch her glasses before she can finish.
"Ay!" Luisa shouts.
I starts running and I hear her chasing after me. Her footsteps shake the ground.
"Come back here!" She yells
"Go girl!" Daniela calls out as I sprint past.
I looks behind my shoulder and Luisa is gaining on me. Now whenever she steps on the ground I get flung higher in the air.
"Stop!" She yells almost right behind me.
I run for my life. She's terrifying. She lunges at my back but misses and lands flat on the ground flinging my 3 feet into the air.
I let got of the glasses and they go flying up. I scrabble to my feet and run to try catch them. There is a group of people in my way and the glasses are gonna fall in the middle of them. I jump as high as I can, I use whoever back is to me and reach up in the air. Only just catching them the falling back down on top of whoever it was that I used to get up.
The glasses are in my hand but are broken. Daniela and Mirabel are running to me, Daniela has tears In her eyes for laughing so much... great friend. Luisa marches up to me and grabs the pair of glasses.
"THERE BROKEN!" She yells, her voice shaking the ground.
"Can you um... get off me?" I look down and realise I'm still on top of the person I landed on.
"Lo siento," I say helping him up. He turns around so I can see his face.
Diego! Just what I need.
Luisa drops the glasses in my hand and glares at me. Mirabel is now standing next to her while Daniela Is holdings in laughter. Diego and the group of people he was with all give me an annoyed look and walk off.

My hand has a sudden tingling sensation and I look down at the glasses. A golden sparkly thing coats over them and it repairs itself in my hand like magic.
I gape down at it, eyes wide open and everyone around me also is.
"D-di-did you just fix those?" Mirabel gasps
"We need to tell abuela." Luisa says to Mirabel.

I shake my head. "No, lo siento. But no I'm not going."
"It's not your choice." Luisa says