Chapter 18

Marivita's POV

I take a step back but ma grabs my shoulder and glares at me.

"Buenos días (good morning), you must be Camilo Madrigal." My ma says shaking his hand.
"Hola señora." Camilo says kindly, glancing sideways at me.
"Hola yellow ruana boy," Ma says. "May we come in?"
"Ah... you can señora. I don't think abuela would appreciate me letting Evita inside tho." Camilo says quietly rubbing the back of his neck.
"Nonsense, she's with me." Ma says pushing past him.
She grabs my arm and pulls me inside with her, almost making me drop the bread. To my surprise the casita doesn't throw me out again.
Ma seems to know where she's going because she walks past the kitchen and I place the breads on the table. We head to the outside porch, Camilo trailing behind us. Abuela Alma is talking to Antonio but she quickly dismisses him when her eyes meet mine.

Antonio's eyes seem to light up when he sees the chameleon on my shoulder. He runs over to him but frowns. Clearly he spoke to the animal.

"You named him Mari, after yourself?" He questions.
I laugh, "no Camilo named him when he was dru- ah... Tired really tired."
"Huh... oh well can I hold him?" He says reaching for Mari.
"Yeh ok pumpkin." I say lowering the chameleon for him to hold and he skips off with it, having a conversation with it along the way.
I glance up and see abuela Alma glaring at me. Ma notices as well.

"Buenas días, Alma. I've heard you have an issue with who my Marivita hangs around." Ma says making my face go red, "would you care to explain why?"
"She's a bad influence to this family. My own Camilo started drinking under her guidance by forcing him to help her steal beers."
"We didn't steal anything!" I say but ma nudges me to quiet down.
"Perhaps we talk about this privately." Ma says sending a shiver down my spine.
"Yes well I prefer not to fight in-front of Tonito." Abuela Alma says.
"Are we fighting now?" Ma says sternly.

Abuela Alma and ma walk into a different part of the house.
I sit down of the fresh grass and sigh. Camilo silently sits next to me, things feel awkward now. I'm not sure if it's the fact I got him in trouble or the things we said to each that night that's making us feel this way.
I watch Antonio dance around with his animals, laughing just like I had done as a little kid. I smile, it's a beautiful sight.

Camilo is playing with a piece of grass, his other hand wrapped around his legs which are brought up to his chest. He looks sad or confused , maybe a mix of both but he's trying to seem calm.

"I'm so sorry Camilo." I say quietly.
"For what?" He says dully.
I just shrug my shoulders.
"I didn't mean any of the stuff I said while drunk. You should know it was just the alcohol, none of it meant anything." He says.
Those words hurt, more then what I thought they should have.
"Oh, ok..." I say, my voice shaking slightly.

We sit in silence for a little longer, Antonio is still goofing around with his animals.

"I meant the stuff I said." I don't even look at him, I don't want to know his reaction.

Sure I've had boyfriends before and asked out other guys but this felt different. Something about Camilo was different... from all those other times.

"About you liking me drunk" he scoffs,"Doesn't seem like much of a compliment. I'm not me when I'm drunk."
His voice is low, lower then it normally.
"Maybe abuela was right, maybe you are bad for me to be around." He says cruelty.

Antonio's gone now. He must have gone back inside because all his animals are gone to. The only one left is Mari, crawling slowly over to us.
It's not much but it's a distraction.

Camilo cuts into the silence that I made, "but you know what? I can't stop wanting to be around you, it drives me nuts. Every single thing about you; your hair, your freckles and those god damn eyes are the most beautiful things I've seen. And I-I can't stop thin-"

I don't know what made me do this.
I pull him by the collar hard so his face is right up close to mine, an inch apart at most. I wrap my arms around his neck.
I grin, "I just meant the liking you back part."

He looks stunned for only a moment.
He runs a hand into my hair and the other slides down to my lower back pulling my body even closer to his.
His lips meet mine, they're warm and soft. The kiss grows deeper but his lips still feel soft against mine. We hear someone coming. He chuckles quietly against my lips and slowly pulls away.
He holds my chin up so he can look at me properly.

"You don't know how long I've you wanted to do that hermosa." He smirks.

My stomach turns. Honestly if in this moment I found out he was a serial killer I wouldn't mind at all.

"Mari!" I hear Mirabel call out, I quickly pull my hands off Camilo and he does the same.
Mirabel dives down to the ground and scoops me up in a big hug.

"I missed you, abuela says it ok for us to talk to you again." She smiles.
"We needed permission?" Camilo says slyly, scooping up mar the chameleon.
Slowly getting up off the ground and walking it the casita. Passing both Isabela and Delores who elbows him while still giggling. He must have thought he was out of view because he starts skipping down the hallway. Which makes me laugh.

"10 dollars, pay up." Delores says to Isabela.
"Technically Camilo did it first tho." Isabela contradicts.
They walk of together, still bickering about money for some reason.

Mirabel looks at me confused. "What do they mean Camilo did it first?"
Ohhh, that's what they're on about.

I have a stupid smile from ear to ear that I just can't help.
"Did you-" she cuts herself off with a gasp, bringing her hand to her face, "did Camilo ask you out!? Like just then."
I tilt my head to the side, "technically."
Mirabel let's out a little squeak of excitement.
"How'd he do it." She says excitedly.
I groan and stand up. I holding out a hand for mirabel to grab. "I'll tell you in your room, plus it was more me then him."