Chapter 33- Warnings

Alexei retracted, his knees almost jelly-like. Rosy hadn’t been able to fight. It was understandable, Alexei’s eyes filled with tears, the Devil’s energy was far too overwhelming for such a young girl. But Xerxes’s mirror was too close; it was nothing more than a room away.

Irma lunged towards Alexei, seeking protection. Sobs violently shook her tiny frame, and her hands clenched around Alexei’s shirt.

“Rosy?” Alexei’s voice was firm, although his insides felt watery, and his brain almost numb.

“Alexei Isaura,” Rosy threw her head back, “You are nothing without that dragon. Get out of the way, and I shall spare you both.”

Alexei looked as if he was actually considering the offer. Rosy, moreover, the Devil’s eyes bore into his own sky blue ones.

“You are going to release yourself?” Alexei questioned warily. The question was much too obvious; it was apparent that he was trying to detract the Devil for a moment or two.

The Devil chose not to answer, and took one long stride closer to Irma and Alexei. His eyes were furious and impatient. Reddish-black smoke rose from their surroundings, and Alexei felt that it was useless to delay him any longer.

“Cornelia,” Alexei whispered, “Please.”

“That is of no use, Isaura,” The Devil smirked, fingering Rosy’s hair. “Cornelia is unable to do anything at the moment.”

Irma cried out when the smoke started to close in on the two. Alexei felt a sheath of sweat form over his forehead. If he let the Devil have his way, Irma and himself would be saved.

Rosy would be lost as a ‘sacrificial’ piece in the Devil’s game.

Alexei would not allow that.

“Out of the way,” The Devil commanded in Rosy’s familiar voice. Alexei shot a glance at the little blonde girl clinging onto his arm. What would happen to Irma? Her eyes were fearful, and wanted nothing more than to be cuddled up back at her sister’s teapot-shaped inn.

He looked from Irma to Rosy and back. The choice was impossible.

-

Arisa stopped dead in her tracks at the blinding light from Queen Vesta’s castle. Her shoulders drooped noticeably. The Exedras twins had been resurrected. She had been running so enthusiastically that she had failed to notice the pain in her side. Her knees gave way, and she crashed to the ground. The stitch in her side was unbearable, but her will was strong. She forced herself to her feet again, staggering from side to side towards the castle.

“Arisa?” A familiar voice called. She felt an arm go around her, and suddenly, she was sitting against a rather comfortable tree. Cytheria brought a pouch of water to Arisa’s lips. The latter drank heartily, filling herself to the brim and emptying the pouch to the last drop.

“Where’s Rosy?” Cytheria asked in concern.

“With Alexei,” Arisa’s voice was still a bit cracked. Cytheria pressed her lips in a thin line. “Where are you headed?”

Arisa quickly recalled her objective, and shot up from her position spontaneously. The blood rushed to her head, and she used the tree for support.

“Artemis, Demetri and Allegra,” Arisa whispered, “I have to find them.”

“The Twins have been resurrected,” Cytheria was hesitant, “I-I don’t think you should go any farther than this.”

Arisa shook her head. “I should have never let them go!”