Chapter 5- The Tale of the Devil

"The Devil ascended from the underworld onto the surface of the Earth almost six hundred years ago," Artemis explained, "He wreaked havoc everywhere he went, dismembering children, robbing merchants, and raping women. His crimes were overlooked for a few days by fear, but then he did something unforgivable. At the time, King Xerxes Gold ruled Tytania, and his rule was a pleasant one. The Devil... abducted King Xerxes' soul, plunging Tytania into a war.

"This war split the once large kingdom of Tytania into two regions: The Golden State and the Silver State. King Xerxes ordered that comrades fight amongst themselves. The kingdom's lands will forever be soaked in their blood. The Devil sat back and simply watched, not even considering using his humongous power for those who were losing their loved ones.

"One woman. One, who was recently seduced by the Devil himself, stepped up to the king. She asked for his hand in marriage. The King gladly accepted, because of her beauty and apparent strength. The details are hidden today, but from what I know, this woman slashed the king in half with a silver sword with the power of a dragon imbued in it. The Devil then sealed the soul of Xerxes into a pure mirror, trapping it eternally.

"The woman went after the true culprit next, the Devil. When they met, the Devil offered an exchange: his return to the underworld for her life. The woman accepted, not suspecting the deal one bit. The Devil kept his end of the bargain, and rightfully returned to world of hell. The woman sucked out her own soul and sealed it into her silver sword. But the Devil cursed the mirror Xerxes was sealed in, and later bestowed upon the purest of the purest souls the Devil's only tear.  The Devil will ascend once more when the two are reunited."

Euphrosyne was staring at Artemis with a horrified expression.

"Did I rush it?" Artemis asked nervously, her mouth dry from talking. Euphrosyne pointed at herself. "This purest soul, is me?"

"Yes," Artemis replied somberly. Euphrosyne shook her head violently.

"No! I'm not pure! I've stolen a gold coin from my father! I've lied to my mother! I...I'm not pure!" Rosy denied, tears forming in her eyes.

Artemis caressed the girl's cheek pitifully.

"I want to go home, Artemis!" Rosy shouted. "I want to go to my uncle's bakery!"

Artemis shushed her, and stayed quiet, having no way to console the poor soul.

"Who was this great woman?" She asked suddenly.

Artemis pondered for a moment before answering, "Her name was Cornelia."

"Can't we... release her soul from that silver sword?" Rosy asked hopefully.

"Believe me, I've tried," Artemis said. "That sword was hidden by the Devil, so Cornelia would never interfere in his matters again."

"So that man wanted to raise the Devil?" Rosy inquired, "But why?"

"Yes, his name is Demetri," Artemis nodded, "He's just being influenced by King Xerxes." 

"Why do you hate him so much, Artemis?"

"I don't hate him. He hates me."

"Why?"

"Because," Artemis gulped, "I killed someone important to him; his younger sister."

"What?" Euphrosyne demanded, glaring at Artemis.

"Euphrosyne, I have killed millions. I was almost as bad as the Devil himself. Please try to understand: I'm helping you to release myself of this unwavering guilt," Artemis pleaded in tears. 

Euphrosyne stayed silent.

"I know I'm selfish, but I swear, I will never back down and let you suffer, Rosy," Artemis promised, holding Rosy's hand tenderly.

Euphrosyne's eyes had lost their shine. The story had overwhelmed her.

"Where are we?" Rosy asked, smiling. Artemis blinked in confusion; she wasn't quite sure herself. 

"I can do nothing but accept my fate," Rosy said, still smiling. "I shall endure all the pain I have to, but I will not give up till the very end." 

Artemis' eyes widened. The tone of Euphrosyne's voice sent memories crashing down on her mind, hurting her. It was almost unbearable.

-

"Artemis, please. You must stop this," she pleaded helplessly, purposely not drawing out her powers. Artemis smiled, and unsheathed her sword.

"I don't want to fight you," Artemis said with real emotion. 

"Me neither," the woman replied. "I love you, Artemis. You were a sister I never had! What happened to you? We shouldn't be like this!"

"Then don't get in my way."

"This is terribly wrong," the woman sniffed, "It's my duty as your best friend and compatriot, to stop you."

"You are not my best friend, Allegra," Artemis gritted her teeth. 

"Why do you keep killing?" Allegra demanded.

"That's the only mark of satisfaction and power I receive in life," Artemis replied. 

Allegra glared at the red-haired beauty, "Why can't you use your powers to save lives rather than take them?"

Artemis did not respond.

"Whatever your reason, I swear upon myself never to let you take another life! Until you realize that what you're doing is wrong," The woman concluded, whirling around a dagger attached to a chain.

"Your words have fallen upon deaf ears," Artemis held up her sword in a ready stance

A single drop of blood trickled to the ground of the burning house, and a single soul lost her noble life.

-