Chapter 7- An Unexpected Savior

"Artemis?" Rosy called softly, shaking the sleeping Artemis by the shoulder. The latter yawned and stretched her arms before abruptly sitting up.

"Rosy!" Artemis cheered, and pulled Rosy into an impromptu embrace.

"What's wrong?" Rosy asked against Artemis' chest. Artemis laughed and narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"Nothing," she denied. "I'm just happy this morning."

"Right..." Rosy seemed unconvinced. Artemis pouted, and jumped to her feet.

"Come on," Artemis lifted Rosy to her feet. Rosy's simple navy blue dress reached right below her knees and the loose flowing sleeves fluttered around her arms.

"Rosaria Forest is so beautiful," Rosy noted. Artemis' eyes suddenly fell, and she smiled weakly.

"Rosaria Forest is where my best friend is buried," Artemis whispered. The leaves rustled unnaturally. Artemis scooped Rosy onto her back and sprinted past the gnarly vines. Artemis had simply lost her clumsiness, and moved stealthily. 

"Close your eyes, Rosy," Artemis ordered loudly enough for Rosy to hear against the slashing wind, "We have to get out of this forest!" 

Rosy obeyed without a word and buried her face in Artemis' hair.

"Demetri is here," Artemis answered the question running about in Rosy's head, "He visits his little sister frequently, and I can sense him." 

Rosy's eyes fluttered open. Demetri's younger sister was Artemis' best friend; Artemis had murdered her own best friend. Rosy finally understood Demetri's undying hatred towards Artemis.

"I'm sorry," Artemis apologized in a shaky voice. Rosy made no response. Artemis came to an abrupt stop, and Rosy was thrown off her back and slammed into a tree. 

"Euphrosyne Rains," Demetri's voice called from all directions.

Rosy hacked some blood, and Artemis pulled her firmly to her side. Her eyes were fearful, and her hands shook visibly. Artemis was afraid.

"Euphrosyne Rains," Demetri repeated. Rosy's heart raced, and her hands were clammy with sweat. The forest was quiet, and the only sound that could be heard was Artemis' and Rosy's panting. Demetri's figure materialized a few meters away, off the ground in front of them, and Rosy felt Artemis stiffening beside her.

Demetri's shoulder length hair, which was similar to Rosy's, slapped around his face until his boot touched the ground. Rosy cowered in fear with betraying tears streaming down her cheeks. His lapis lazuli eyes didn't meet Rosy's even once, but instead bore right into Artemis' orbs. 

"You lack the strength to face me at the moment, Artemis," Demetri revealed. Artemis stepped forward in front of Rosy, and nodded knowingly.

"I'm quite aware of that," Artemis admitted. She hadn't gotten enough sleep. That was the only possible reason.

"Then hand her over without a fight," Demetri requested politely. Artemis smirked. A crimson- orange fireball had formed in Demetri's right hand, which had previously been hidden behind him. It flew through the air aimed directly at Rosy. Artemis cussed under her breath and pulled the frozen Rosy behind her. She shut her eyes braced for the impact.

It never came. 

"Who are you?" Demetri demanded. Artemis opened her eyes, and gasped involuntarily. 

"We meet again, Euphrosyne," the man winked. He was inhumanly beautiful, and Rosy dashed without though into his arms. The man hugged her close. Demetri grasped the opportunity, and unsheathed a sword of solid gold and charged at the man.

"Rosy!" Artemis cried. The dust that had risen cleared to reveal the man and Rosy unscathed. Demetri had missed. More specifically, the man had dodged it.

"Who are you?" Demetri demanded again, steadying himself.

"That is none of your business," the man said coldly and waved his hand. At once, the wind slashed at Demetri's chest, creating a shallow wound. Demetri backed away, and glared at the man. He summoned his familiar marble red staff. Demetri's attention had moved completely from Artemis to the unidentified man. Artemis smirked, and sent an orb of water at Demetri. The orb caught him off guard, soaking him from head to toe, and sending his staff flying out of his hand. 

"This is a bit unfair," the man mused, "Two on one?"

Demetri staggered to his feet, and his figure dematerialized. Rosy still had her face buried in the man's chest.

"Who are you?" Artemis asked quietly, in fear. Her head swooned, and his arm wrapped around her waist, steadying her.

"My name is Alexei," the man replied, his mismatched eyes shining with humour.

"Alexei!" Rosy shouted happily, and flung her arms around his head. Alexei smiled, and gently placed Rosy on her feet. He ruffled his golden blonde hair, and grinned at Artemis. The grin sent Artemis' heart racing. He was so beautiful. His cheekbones were well-defined, and his scent filled Artemis's nostrils. It was somehow spicy, fruity, and floral all at once. 

"Oh, Artemis," Alexei's eyes were playful, "I'm hurt that you thought I was the Devil." 

Artemis cocked her head sideways, "How did you know that?"

"I've been there ever since you and Euphrosyne met," Alexei corrected, his eyes exuding a warmth that relaxed Artemis although he had literally and casually revealed that he had been pursuing the two in secret. 

"Call me Rosy," Rosy grinned. Alexei ruffled her hair playfully and nodded.

"Rosy, Artemis," Alexei addressed them. "I want to accompany you two to the BlackOrs Sanctuary."

"Why?" Artemis narrowed her eyes, inspecting his attire, "Where do you come from?"

"Because I want to," Alexei simply replied, and only to her first inquiry.

"Where do you come from?" Rosy repeated Artemis' question. Her hazel eyes were shining with excitement from meeting this man.

"Bahamut's Lair, the island west of the Golden State," Alexei replied gravely, and elaborated unhesitantly, "I've been in search of the sword that holds Cornelia's spirit."

Artemis was divided on his request to join them, but she was forced to agree because of Rosy's enthusiasm. Rosy had accepted Alexei without realizing the depth of his motivation. 

-

 Pronunciation Guide: 

Alexei - Alex-ay/ Uh-lex-ay.